Monday, October 24, 2011

WHAT IF SABATHIA DOESN'T COME BACK?

That would suck wouldn’t it? The reality is, while the Yankees know exactly what they want to do, we don’t truly know and even if sports writers like Joel Sherman tells us that he’s hearing it’s going to be a quiet Yankee off season, you can’t tell me it’s still going to be quiet if CC Sabathia opts-out and signs elsewhere. Read Sherman HERE.

First off, if that happens, it will be mass panic in Yankeeland… and that’s just the fans, never mind the Steinbrenners and Levine who will then want to knee jerk the next high profile pitcher or top hitter they can find. Check out some of these names:

Yu Darvish: It’s been confirmed by Brain Cashman that the Yankees are definitely interested in Yu Darvish but don't want to spend big money. I suspect if CC opts-out and doesn't come back, the Yankees WILL spend big money, but I do not think it will be on Yu Darvish. Yes, this kid seems to be the real deal. But, in the back of my mind, I realized that Hideki Irabu and Kei Igawa were supposed to be the real deal too.

Hiroki Kudora: Once again, this guy’s name keeps popping up and the Yankees are always attached to him. I believe in my heart this kid will be a New York Yankee either this off season or by the July 31st deadline…mark my words and if he is, I would immediately us him as a 4 or 5 starter, he's no #1 or #2 starter, no way.

Casey Blake: Wally Matthews reported the Yankees interested in Blake and the idea of Blake in pinstripes makes sense. If Eric Chavez retires, Blake is a good fit. He’s good defensively and has a solid bat. One thing Blake is not though is as exciting or clutch as Eric Chavez. That’s based on my opinion, nothing more. That being said, I’d be happy with Blake, only if Chavez doesn't come back.

Albert Pujols: Yes, I love the Idea of having Albert Pujols on the New York Yankees, but is there really a chance? Come on. True, there’s always a chance with the Yankees, but I just don’t see it happening, much like I wrote in our BYB piece about Prince Fielder called IS PRINCE FIELDER COMING TO THE BRONX?, how would you even fit Albert Pujols in? Is he a DH that alternates at first with Mark Teixieira? Will he accept that role? Would you pay him $25 million a year to be a DH? No doubt Pujols is going to want a lot of money, so what would he be offered? Look, this gives me a headache and I even hate wasting time on this one because the reality is, it’s almost crazy and unfair to discuss, plus… we need to focus, we need starting pitching.

Edwin Jackson: Yes, this guy. It seems that every time the Yankees are looking for pitchers, Edwin Jackson is around and available. It’s not so much that the Yankees like Jackson; it’s that he’s a free agent and that’s the connection. I don’t see the Yankees ever going after Edwin Jackson; I don’t find him dynamic enough or better than what we have. Many disagree, that's fine.

Mark Buehrle: By far, my favorite pick and it’s similar to Edwin Jackson meaning that, the guy’s name pops up and the Yankees always seem to be looking. Look, to be honest, if there was a true love connection between Yankees and Buehrle, we would have heard about it already. I won’t say Buehrle won’t come to the Bronx, but let’s just say the chances could be slim.

At the end of the day, there is no name out there without questions, including CC himself. Ultimately, if CC Sabathia opts-out, the Yankees should push hard for this guy to get him back, but I wouldn’t give CC Sabathia years. I’d be more willing to give him a few extra bucks a year for him to stick around, this way, we’re not paying a broken down pitcher in 7 years a crazy amount of money he’s not worth.

Whatever the case, it’s clear to me that if CC Sabathia does opt-out and walk, panic will set in and let’s face it, no one wants that in Yankeeland.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017