Monday, December 5, 2011

SITTING DOWN WITH CURTIS GRANDERSON

Haley Smilow is 10 years old. Recently her father sent and email to Bleeding Yankee Blue and asked if we would be interested in printing an interview Haley did from Baseball Youth Magazine with Curtis Granderson back in July. Who are we to say no? First off, we here at BYB love Granderson and Haley is clearly a future journalist. I wrote her father back immediately and let him know we were interested and showing off Haley's work. I am happy to now bring you Haley Smilow's interview with The Gentleman, Curtis Granderson:
Haley: In your book "All You Can Be: Dream It, Draw It, Become It", you share the lessons that you learned growing up, what is one lesson you would tell the Baseball Youth readers if they haven’t read the book?

Curtis Granderson: The selection of friends, good and bad, positive or negative and the people you surround yourself with, will shape your whole life.

Haley: I also know you are an ambassador for MLB and have traveled to England, Italy, South Africa, China, and New Zealand is there any place you would really like to go and represent MLB?

Curtis Granderson: I have never been to South America so that would be amazing. I would also like to go to Japan and Australia, those would be on my top 3 list.

Haley: Why did you choose the #28 in Detroit and #14 in New York?

Curtis Granderson: I was given the #28 in college, which was great because the numbers 2 and 8 are my favorite numbers, so it was both of them together. When I became a Yankee Joe Girardi was #28 so I chose #14 because that was my number from high school.
Haley: What is it like in the Dug Out before and after a game?

Curtis Granderson: It is a fun place filled with energy and lots of handshakes. We are always meeting people before games. After the game it depends if we won or lost. If we win everyone is happy and celebrating and if we lost we need to move on to the next game.

Haley: When you are on the road do you share rooms with your teammates?

Curtis Granderson: In the majors we get our own rooms. In the minors we share rooms, I used to share with Ryan Raburn, Joel Zumaya and David Espinosa.
Haley: AJ Burnett has created a celebration for a walk off win, a pie in the face. Have you ever gotten pied?

Curtis Granderson: No, I have not been pied. If I get pied it means we won but I am afraid it will burn. (The pies are Shaving Cream.)

Haley: Who is the biggest practical joker you have ever been on a team with? Have you ever been the victim of a practical joke?

Curtis Granderson: Brandon Inge on the Tigers will do funny pranks, silly ones and even some gross ones. We had a little battle going when I played for Detroit. Once I opened his car and filled it with paper and construction tape making it a big mess inside the car and out. Jorge Posada is a real joker as well.
Haley: My little brother is a fan of WWE, I heard you are as well. Who are some of you favorite wrestlers of today?

Curtis Granderson: Of course I like CM Punk because he is a great wrestler and from Chicago. Jon Cena is another favorite. I also like the Diva’s because they work hard and are as good as the guys.
Haley: Who would you consider your closest friends on the Yankees?

Curtis Granderson: Of course I have special bond with my fellow outfielders Nick Swisher and Brett Gardner. But I also like to hang out with CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett and Russell Martin we go out to dinner and movies together.

Haley: What is your favorite meal?

Curtis Granderson: I really love Thanksgiving dinner because you get to eat a little bit of everything and you can go back over and over for more helpings.

Thank you to the Smilow family for wanting to be apart of Bleeding Yankee Blue and terrific job with your interview with Curtis Granderson Haley! You have a future in sports journalism for sure! We hope you all enjoyed this interview. Comment here and let Haley know just how great she did! --Casey



-- Haley Smilow, BYB Guest Writer






Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Haley, you have a bright future in journalism. It's hard to believe that you are so young. You are great at this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Cuz!!! I am very impressed with all your hard work and I cannot wait to see what you do next. I had a lot of fun seeing you and your family for Thanksgiving. Keep up the good work!

    Love,
    Ari

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017