Saturday, October 15, 2011

IS PRINCE FIELDER COMING TO THE BRONX?

In a world of Yankeeland panic because we need stability in our pitching rotation, why in the world would the Yankees make Prince Fielder a top priority? Plus, the word on the street is the Yankees plan would be to trade Jesus Montero for pitching. What's going on here? I mean, didn't we just all love Montero this fall? Oh, maybe that was just the Yankees showing Montero off to see what teams would be interested. Hmm, maybe I'm getting this trade stuff after all.

Rumors are flying and I doubt this one is right...but look, I hope I'm wrong. I hope Prince Fielder becomes a New York Yankee, but how the hell would do that logically? That's my point! We have one of the best defensive first basemen in the game in Mark Teixiera for 1.

Are you suggesting Tex is going somewhere? Then let's talk about money... Prince Fielder is currently making $15.5 Million in the last year of his contract. He's a client of Scott Boras. There's no way Fielder makes less than $15.5 million per year and there's no way he takes a short term deal. And finally, are you going to ask a 27 year old Fielder to be a permanent DH? Do you think he'd go for that? Let's face it, isn't it possible that the timing of this is just wrong?

And speaking of big money, don't forget, we don't know what's going to happen to CC Sabathia. If he opts-out, then we need big money to pry him back. Not an easy task considering every teams will have a crack at this guy. No way the Yankees let him walk, right? Plus the Yankees still need pitching. Even if the Yankees get CC back, we still need another ace in my estimation, to be our number 2. It could be Ivan Nova, but I don't think he's ready and was forced into the 2 slot in the playoffs based on his momentum and the fact that we didn't have anyone else. You following me so far? Rumors are fun, but I just can't figure this one out. It's almost irresponsible to me. Look, what the hell do I know though? There may be a solution to the puzzle above that I just can't figure out, but to me, the riddle was simple...the Yankees needed pitching, that's it.

Look, if Prince Fielder wants to come to New York and be our permanent Designated Hitter and occasionally play first, I like it, but not for $15.5 million a year. And if the Yankees were to sign Prince Fielder because they knew CC Sabathia wouldn't opt-out if they did, I like that too. But New York Daily News guy John Harper is suggesting the the Yankees would pursue Fielder if CC Sabathia DOES opt-out and that's were you lose me. Is it me or do the Yankees need pitching? Read Harper HERE.

"But the point is, you can't rule out the possibility that Fielder could wind up a Yankee, slotting in between Robinson Cano and Alex Rodriguez as a full-time DH.

It might take something extreme such as losing CC Sabathia to his opt-out clause. And while that doesn't seem likely either, it's possible the Yankees, fearing the effect of all his innings pitched, as well the effect of age on his XXL body, will draw a hard line on extending Sabathia's deal much beyond the remaining four years and $92 million."

This is alittle wacky, is it not?


Ah, baseball rumors... it's not even the end of the playoffs and we'll already getting down and dirty. Hilarious.

By the way, look for a piece from Grant Cederquist tomorrow on some real wacky trade rumors in our Sunday feature.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017