I hadn't been to a Yankee game in two years. And quite frankly, the only reason I went Saturday was because I was invited. I'm certainly not paying for a ticket while Aaron Boone is still at the helm.
Turns out, I didn't miss much.
The Yankees were absolutely awful in a 12-2 embarrassment against the Mets. Gerrit Cole set the tone immediately, surrendering three home runs and five runs on nine hits in just 4 1/3 innings. That's now seven homers allowed in his last two starts. This is supposed to be the ace we're counting on when October arrives? Figure it out, Gerrit. Quickly.
The offense wasn't much better. Cody Bellinger at least showed up, driving in both Yankee runs, including a homer. Aaron Judge went hitless, and Anthony Volpe appears to be settling nicely back into his normal JV ways, killing one of the Yankees' few opportunities by grounding into an inning-ending double play in the seventh. Welcome back.
Meanwhile, the Mets hit six home runs and basically used Yankee Stadium for batting practice. Francisco Lindor started the game with a homer and later added a grand slam just to make sure the humiliation was complete.
The highlight of my day? It had absolutely nothing to do with the game.
I finally got to meet Bald Vinny in person outside Billy's. That was worth the trip. Total businessman, solid hustler, got to appreciate this dude. Last time I met him was 2013. It's been years.
But baseball? Not so much.
Twelve runs allowed. Seven lousy hits. Two runs scored. An ace getting knocked around and an offense that looked lifeless.
Two years away from Yankee Stadium, and this is what I came back to?
Maybe I'll wait another two.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.