Finally, an Anthony Volpe story I can get excited about. It involves another team.
Reds On SI reports that Joey Votto endorsed a fan’s suggestion that Cincinnati trade for Volpe, responding, “I like this idea.” There’s no reported deal brewing. Just an idea. But what a lovely little idea it is.
I love that Votto likes it. If his endorsement helps get Volpe out of the Bronx, put Joey on my Christmas card list.
I’ve had enough of the Volpe sales pitch. The potential. The patience. The endless suggestion that we’re all one adjustment away from witnessing something special.
At some point, the adjustment needs to be a change of address.
Volpe’s career OPS below .700 and he hit .265 after returning from his 2026 demotion. Fine. An encouraging stretch. To me, that’s nowhere near enough to erase the frustration or justify another round of blind faith.
His bat has too often made the promise look ridiculous. I’m tired of grading him on what he might become while watching what he actually produces.
This is the Yankees. Fans are allowed to expect an offense that doesn’t require a motivational speaker to explain it.
And Brian Cashman needs to stop treating moving on as an admission he can’t afford to make. You picked the player. You gave him the opportunity. Now evaluate the results. Your scouting report isn’t sacred scripture.
If the Reds see something they can fix, wonderful. Let Cincinnati take its turn staring under the hood. Get a useful return and move forward.
Could Volpe improve somewhere else? Sure. That possibility doesn’t obligate the Yankees to keep waiting, and it certainly doesn’t obligate me to keep applauding the wait.
Votto likes the idea. I love the possibility.
Give me a sensible trade that sends this kid out of the Bronx, and I’ll supply the packing tape.
We’ve spent enough time unwrapping the promise.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.