Anthony Volpe finally did something to help the New York Yankees win a baseball game.
There. I said it.
In his return from Triple-A, Volpe went 3-for-4, drove in five runs and launched a grand slam as the Yankees beat Colorado 10-3 and completed the sweep. It was a hell of a game. Give him credit. He showed up when his number was called.
But everybody relax. I'm still not buying Anthony Volpe.
First off, there were other Yankees who deserve some attention from last night. Luis García Jr. launched his 30th homer of the season, a two-run shot that got things started. Spencer Jones delivered a huge two-run single in the seventh. Cody Bellinger drove in a run, and Max Fried struck out seven while allowing just one run, although it took him 80 pitches to get through 3.1 innings. The bullpen did enough from there.
That's called a team win.
We aren't asking Volpe to be Derek Jeter. We're not asking him to be a superstar. We're asking him to become something resembling the player Yankee scouts told us he was going to be. That's it. Like Jesus, bat .280 on the year.
We've spent years hearing about the talent, the upside and the potential. Meanwhile, we've watched the inconsistency. So, one huge night against a Colorado team that has lost 100 games doesn't suddenly erase everything we've already seen. I'm a realist.
Was Volpe's adrenaline pumping after getting recalled? Absolutely. Did he look energized? Sure. Did he have a great game? Damn right.
But we've seen this movie before. A big game. A little hope. Everyone starts screaming that Volpe has "figured it out." Then comes another stretch where we're wondering what happened.
So, spare me the redemption tour after one night. I've been fooled for 3 years with this guy.
Am I happy for Volpe? No. I'm happy the Yankees won.
Volpe did his job, exactly what he was supposed to do. That's what I'm happy about. There is way too much emphasis placed on the fact that Anthony Volpe did it instead of what actually matters: the Yankees need to win this division.
So that's the story. This isn't about rebuilding Anthony Volpe's confidence or proving the Yankees were right about him. September isn't about protecting prospects, organizational pride or winning arguments.
It's about winning baseball games. Volpe helped them do that last night. Good. Do it again.
And again. Because one grand slam doesn't change my opinion of Anthony Volpe. But helping the Yankees get to first place might.
That's the standard now.
Win the damn division.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.