Thursday, August 1, 2013

BASEBALL TALK AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE


The cliche says you should never talk politics at the dinner table. Maybe there should be one for sports banter at the breakfast table. On second thought, I take it back. There is plenty of hilarity at the breakfast table on Sunday mornings. Last weekend just wouldn't be the same without it. This time it was so entertaining that it wasn't just me and my dad carrying on.....it went a little something like this.

Dad: So, how far back are the Yankees now? The Blue Jays pass you yet?

Me: Dad....how can you say that about one of your teams?

Dad: Well....at least I can admit they suck this year.

Me: Can you admit that the Mets do every year also?

Dad: They didn't in 1986 or 2006.


Me: AH, YES....let's go back to what happened in 2006 again, shall we?

Dad: *quickly changes the subject* So anyway, who is injured now?

Me: Nice cover up there, dad but I will spare you. Travis Hafner is hurt.

Dad: Who?! Your team is a bunch of Old Timers!

Me: Never mind....Derek Jeter is back.

Dad: For how long this time?

By this point, we were conveniently interrupted and the subject changed temporarily....A few minutes later:

*text message sound goes off on my phone*

Dad: Oh....did the Yankees finally score?




Me: *grabs phone and looks at it* Yes...and Derek Jeter hit a home run.

Dad: Free the pigeons! Someone can hit.

Me: You are a fickle fan, dad. *text message sound goes off again*

Dad: At least I can admit they suck this year....

Me: *looks at phone* You jinxed us! The Rays are leading now.

Dad: See.....told ya.

Jeana: Can't you make fun of your other teams now?

Dad: What other teams?

*my step mom and I give my dad "the look" for when he asks a silly question*

Me: You have 3 teams dad....let's talk about one of the other two.

Dad: And they are?

Me: Your Mets and the Diamondbacks. How can you like the Mets AND the Yankees?

Dad: What's to talk about? The Mets aren't expected to do anything again and the Diamondbacks have crappy pitching.

Jeana: Yup, the Diamondbacks have fallen from grace, huh? How bout them Dodgers, dad? *laughs*

Dad: I have no pitching and one good hitter.


 Jeana: I have a good solution for ya! I will trade you Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain....take your pick for Paul Goldschmidt!

Dad: *laughs* You must be high. You do have good taste though. He is better than Mark Teixeira and at least he can stay healthy.

Me: You leave my Tex alone....and you must be high for following 3 teams.

Dad: Hometown and newtown.

Me: So dad....who are you going to cheer for when we go to the Diamondbacks / Mets game in a couple of weeks? Are you going to wear both Mets and Dbacks gear? If you are, I'm sorry I can't defend you when you get teased.

Dad: The Mets aren't going anywhere so I guess it's new town over old town.

Jeana: So the Bronx and Queens are both your hometown? Explain that again.

*my step mom laughs* Ok you two....do I need to put you in timeout?

Dad: She started it!

Me: Really dad? How old are we?

Dad: Make fun of me all you want...at least I can admit all of my teams suck. *Opens the newspaper and starts reading the standings*

Me: It must be hard for you. So much mediocrity to follow.

Dad: Nah, I just skipped over the Yankees and focused on the other two. Wow, look at those Rays!

Me: Don't tell me you are going to be a Rays fan now, too? Just stick to one team dad, stick to one. Now stop jinxing my team! If I get swept it's all your fault....

I love my dad, he's the best. Just don't mess with my Yankees dad! Oh and stop jinxing them will yah?! Thankfully the Yankees pulled it out and he didn't have much to make fun of. Not only that, we were both put in baseball timeout. It's another fun filled Sunday at the breakfast table. I'm sure there is still lots more to follow.....




--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ

 



The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017