Saturday, June 16, 2012

IS THERE A BIGGER PLAN FOR FRANCISCO CERVELLI?

I have always felt that the passion Francisco Cervelli provides on the field catapults him into a player you want in your lineup. Sure, he’s the not best in offense or defense, but he’s good and he believes in himself. Yes, believing in yourself is only part of it. I mean, if you hit .211 on a season and your fist pumping your way through it, it’s not exactly going to get you very far. But I often think back to spring training when it comes to Cervelli. Cervelli had a great spring and it almost felt like he had a better spring than previous ones. I think at that point he had enough confidence in himself that he made it…that he’d be a backup in the Bigs again. I think he thought he provided what the Yankees wanted this past Spring.., many of us did. I mean think about it, who else was he competing against? Austin Romine? JR Murphy? Jesus Montero was gone…he had it in the bag…until Chris Stewart came in and burst his bubble.
(In Photo: Chris Stewart)
If I’m Francisco Cervelli at that point, I’m pissed. Not only that, I want out. I’d think to myself “I just gave it my all, proved myself and you pull some bait and switch on me! What the hell?” I feel his pain, I’ve been there before, not in baseball, in life. Cervelli was frustrated but he handled it publicly better than expected and it was mature and classy, I salute him…but it doesn’t change the fact that Cervelli is still in the minor leagues and trying to deal with it day by day.

So what’s the plan? I believe the Yankees have one and Cervelli won’t be a member of the Yankees very long. With that story coming out of that Venezuela publication a few weeks ago that suggested the Cervelli says 2 teams are interested in him, I say, good for him ( Read HERE.) If that story was in fact true, and the Yankees can trade him for some other hole they need to fill on the roster, they should.

I always said Cervelli has enough passion in himself and his team that he could easily become a leader...if not on the Yankees, somewhere else. I said that when rumors were swirling about he maybe being traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates a while back. "Francisco has passion that would resonate with any young ball club... he could definitely take the reigns and provide leadership, leadership that hasn’t been seen in Pittsburgh since Andy Van Slyke and Willie Stargell." (Read WHY CERVELLI COULD BE TRADED THIS WINTER.)

Bottom line, he wants to be out there on the field every day. He wants to work hard and sure, while he knows he’s not the best, he won’t let that get the best of him. I like that about Frankie.

Mark my words, I believe that if there are holes the Yankees want to improve on as we approach the deadline, they will definitely unload Francisco Cervelli. Do I agree with it? No, because I like Cervelli and his passion…but as Pete Caldera of the Bergen Record says….”It’s a baseball decision.”

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017