Friday, May 10, 2019

BEST OF MLB THIS WEEK! YOU GOT TO LOVE THIS GAME!

Source: NY Post Paul J. Bereswill

It’s been sometime since I started writing for Bleeding Yankee Blue and I must say, I really enjoy it. If you read my pieces, you know that I tend to write about New York baseball as a whole and include news from the Yankees and the Mets.

Although I am loyal to my Yanks and Mets, I am definitely a baseball fan in general. I really enjoy hearing about accomplishments from other teams… well besides the Red Sox obviously. Suzie Pinstripe and I can put on any game any really enjoy it. This week, I want to switch it up and talk about some noteworthy news from around the league. Hope you enjoy!

Source: NY Post

The one bright spot in all of the Yankees’ plague of injuries, is allowing the opportunity for our minor leaguers to get the chance to show us what they’ve got. Nestor Cortes, Jr. is a 24-year-old left-hander from Cuba and our 36th-round pick in 2013. He has had an impressive performance at Triple-A with a 4.56 ERA, and during his latest start he tossed 7 ⅓ no hit innings, and struck out nine. Now that Cortes got called up, he is living his dream. 

“(It’s) 100-percent sweeter [with the Yankees],” Cortes told The Post. “It’s the team I got drafted by. It’s the team everybody wishes to be in New York with, so yeah, it’s definitely a lot sweeter and a lot better.”

Source: The New York Times

Things were definitely not looking up for Noah Syndergaard until his start on May 2nd. His historic performance not only included a 10 strike, complete-game shutout, but a 407 foot solo home run to win 1-0 over the Reds. It was only the seventh time in the history of the league that a pitcher hit a homer and threw a shutout, and the first time done by a Met. A little New York baseball crossover, Robinson Cano also joined the 2,500 hits club this week.

Source: USA Today

Oakland Athletics starter Mike Fiers threw the 300th no-hitter in MLB history and the second of his career. Fiers received an incredible out pour of support, including from his dad. 

“He was pretty excited,’’ Fiers said to USA today, “but so was I. I had a lot of energy, I couldn’t really sleep. I was trying to get back to everybody. I wanted to congratulate them for congratulating me. It’s been ongoing. I’m still trying to get back to people. I mean, I’ve even gotten stuff over in Japan. It’s pretty cool to see that worldwide.’’

Source: NBC Sports

On Wednesday, Joey Gallo of the Texas Rangers became the first player in baseball history to hit 100 home runs before hitting 100 singles. Recently it seems like the MLB is coming up with all kinds of ridiculous statistics, but this seems so impossible that it’s actually impressive. 

Source: LA Times

April showers bring...Justin Turner homers? Turner hit three dingers for the first time in his career against the Braves on Tuesday night. Apparently, April just is not a good month for Turner.

“I don’t know what the deal is,” Turner said. “Andrew [Friedman], I think, told me a couple weeks ago that I only have two or three career homers in April so not sure what that’s about but definitely glad that month’s over.”

That’s all for now. Let me know what you think! Like hearing about other teams? Or just want New York news? Until next time.




--Missy O'Rourke
BYB Contributor
Twitter: @missy_orourke






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017