Wednesday, September 6, 2017

DAVID ROBERTSON: MR. CONSISTENT

Source: Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images North America

YES Network Meredith Marakovits interviewed David "Houdini" Robertson before last night's game in Baltimore and our newly recovered bullpen pitcher carried himself as humbly as always when he was asked about his presence in the bullpen.  "I have never been a part of a bullpen with such depth," he told Marakovits.  In all honestly, David, we didn't have that depth until we acquired you back in July.

Source: N.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg

“He’s a leader down there, especially as we go down the stretch run,’’ (Adam) Warren said. “With his résumé and his career, he doesn’t have to just accept any role, but he’s not worried about stats or saves, which puts things in perspective for the rest of us. He just wants to win," reported the NY Post earlier this week. Robertson's ERA is a stunning 1.71 allowing only four runs in 22 innings pitched. He's a constant.  He's consistent. And his presence is so needed as the Yankees make a run for the pennant.

Source: AP / Frank Franklin II

When we "lost" Robertson to the White Sox a few years back, part of my heart went with him.  He was just such an easy-going guy, who was mentored by Mariano Rivera and played the perfect set up man to the best closer this game has ever seen.  Robertson seems excited to be a part of this team who is hungry for a leader spot at the top of the AL East.

Source: Matthew Stockman/Getty Images North America

“There’s lots of things you miss,” he said. “You miss a lot of the staff, teammates, playing in the Stadium, but my time was up here. I had to make a decision of where to go and this team was moving in a different direction at the time and now it seems like I’ve been asked to come back and fill a vital role, so I’m hopeful I can go out and do that for them," reported Newsday.

Source: Getty Images

I breathe a sigh of relief when I see Robertson jogging in from the bullpen.  Not just because I am confident in his ability to shut batters down, but because he creates a Yankee presence that reminds me of the good guys of years ago- guys like Sparky Lyle and Goose Gossage.  He's what I would expect of a Yankee pitcher- quiet confidence, ready to get the job done.  Robertson is our Mr. Consistent and I look forward to seeing how his role in the bullpen brings us closer to our interim goal of winning the Division.



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter: @suzieprof





20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017