Wednesday, April 23, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WRIGLEY FIELD!


I have a special place in my heart for the baby bears from Chicago’s North side. The first Little League team I played for was the Cubs. I remember my Dad returning from a business trip in The Windy City. Some associates took him to the Friendly Confines for an afternoon game.


My Father is a die hard New Yorker and Yankee fan, but that didn’t stop him from uttering this memorable line, “Michael, Yankee Stadium is the best place in the world to watch baseball. Wrigley Field is the best place to enjoy a baseball game.”


I didn’t quite understand that completely until I finally visited 1060 West Addison (Also the address of one Elwood Blues if you are scoring at home.) It is truly a magical place. Where The House That Ruth Built truly was Baseball’s cathedral, Wrigley was like your neighborhood had a block party and a ball game broke out. It was all as great as advertised, the ivy, the Cubbie traditions, singing “Take Me Out”.

(In Photo: Harry Caray)
I sat an watched the hometown club duke it out with the visiting Colorado Rockies. I had no horse in the race but pulled for the Cubs all the same. I drank Old Styles, ate Chicago-style hotdogs and loved every second of it. It was great to experience one of Baseball’s crown jewels. There is nothing like Wrigley. I’m not saying it’s better than Yankee Stadium…it’s just different.

I studied Improvisation at the IO theatre and Second City. I really do love Chicago and all the friends I have that hail from that great city. They are very much like New Yorkers in a way. They are proud of their town. Like Yankee fans, Cubbie fans are born and raised to live and die with their team…and let’s call it down the middle here. The Cub Faithful have had a much heavier cross to bare.

Wrigley is celebrating a big birthday this season, and just like when Fenway turned 100 it really wonderful to see. The fact that these two ballparks still stand proud in their respective cities should make any baseball fan smile. They are the truly “The Old Guard” and I hope they never come down. They are national treasures, monuments to the sport and something you don’t see in the NBA, NFL or NHL.


I want to wish the Cubs, their fans and that grand ol’ ballpark a very happy birthday! I raise my glass to another 100 years…and hopefully better days for the North side baby bears.

** What else would I pick? Here’s Jake, Elwood and the boys.**






--Mike O'Hara, MLB Fan Cave Host, Season 1
   Twitter: @mikeyoh21

"Paulie was always my favorite player."


 

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017