Friday, March 28, 2014

THE BABE & GEHRIG FILM UNEARTHED


Have you guys seen this? It's a rare film clip of the Babe and Lou Gehrig.  According to the New York Times:

 "The newsreel film from June 1, 1925, animates a historic day for the Yankee franchise: Babe Ruth’s first game of the season since the illness dubbed the “bellyache heard ’round the world” and a pinch-hitting appearance by Lou Gehrig that became the first of his 2,130 consecutive games... In a sequence filmed before the game, Ruth and Gehrig showed the personalities they would often display during their careers. Ruth was the extrovert, standing on the dugout steps talking to the Fox Movietone News cameraman. He was the news of the day. The introverted Gehrig sat on the bench in the background, perhaps listening to Ruth’s banter. At times, he fiddled with his right ear."

Check this out:





Now look... I'll tell you something.  These days, kids have only heard about Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, but they rarely see footage of these guys.  The truth is, at the time, these players were larger than life and all these years later, it's never changed.


My oldest son is interested in the Old timers, the heroes, but it's more about the recent guys for him.  For instance, I'm a big baseball card collector and even as a kid, I would try and collect the old cards.  Just to get my hands on a Yogi Berra or the 1971 Topps collection, the year I was born, was very cool to me and I cherished it. To this day, I still have them preserved somewhere in my house. There was a rich history there. Now though, my son likes looking at a Mike Trout or Derek Jeter card over those any day of the week.

We need to keep our kids engaged on baseball's great history. It's an amazing journey. 

Great film clip!

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017