Thursday, February 13, 2014

I'M NOT PUSHING JETER OUT, BUT NOW WE NEED DREW


Derek Jeter can be a New York Yankee for the next century for all I care.  He's an inspiration to us all. His life plan is simple; you have a goal, you complete that goal.  5 World Championships and an iconic stature is what we're left with.  Plus, we need to continue to hammer home "role model" when we talk about Jeter.  My son idolizes him... grown men do as well and women are infatuated and inspired.  It's incredible. It's like Beatlemania... but it's the Yankees and it's Derek Sanderson Jeter.


But looking forward, and for the first time in 20 years, we're going to need a new shortstop in 2015.  Trust me, the Yankees have given up on Eduardo Nunez, even though he was once touted by Yankee brass as "the next Yankee shortstop." I believe they've passed on that idea.  It's probably not exactly fair, but it's my opinion they realized they were wrong.  Now trust me... Nunez CAN turn heads this season and sharpen up his defense, and I hope for his sake he does, but in the meantime, we need to think of a better plan... enter Stephen Drew.


Drew is still out there, and while many of us didn't see the reason for signing him, we do now.... there will most likely be a gaping hole of shortstop without the Captain.  Now's the time to sign him. 3 years if need be, and sure, Drew wants an opt-out clause after 1 year, but now's the time for the Yankees to make their pitch. They'll need to dismiss Drew of that opt-out clause and explain that they are losing their iconic shortstop and Drew could hold down the fort in New York for at least 2 years, learning the ropes in 2014 for starters of course... make sense?


I know, he doesn't have a bat, but he's also not an automatic out. And true, we'll be losing a ton of production at the plate without Derek Jeter, but Drew's glove is one that I inspire my son's to be like.  He's a wizard and I haven't seen a defensive player like that, well, since Derek Jeter was vintage. 


I like Drew's defense... and now, with the developments of the "Jeter retiring" announcement... the time is now for the Yankees to act on Drew... plain and simple.


Something to think about... that's all I'm saying. Plus, it's an alternative. Why you ask? Because I love Derek Jeter, he IS the Yankees... and to be honest, I wouldn't care if he was there until he was in his 50s. He's done my kids right when it comes to presenting yourself as a professional in life and offering determination and desire on the field.  The perfect role model for anyone. I also know, that time is up... it's sad but true, and we need to think about the team.


After all, Derek Jeter would tell you the same thing, because he's not selfish. He's about the Yankees first.

Damn, the dude is just perfect, isn't he?

 Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017