Saturday, October 19, 2013

I'M GIVING CREDIT TO MARCHAND & THE WORLD ISN'T ENDING


I have always felt that Andrew Marchand is sneaky. That is my opinion and I'm not looking to sway you. Look, I don't know the man, but I respect his gig... it ain't easy. I read his stories but I go in skeptical.  I think that's what he wants, but truth be told, when the "Yankees $300 million shopping spree" story went out yesterday, I looked around and the world... LITERALLY... the WORLD had sourced Marchand.  So, I dove in. My thinking was simple, "Oh great, a story about the Yankee spending from his 'sources' and no 'how' it will be explained."  Well, I was pleasantly surprised.  Or shall I say, I was unpleasantly disappointed... the man actually did it... he put together a great break down of not only the $300 million off season shopping spree... but the "how" was included... Damn you Marchand!


First of all, the checklist begins with Robinson Cano and moves onto catcher Brian McCann and Carlos Beltran. I knew that already... most of us did.  But HOW was interesting and here it is. He writes:
•" A source said the Yankees are shedding around $85 million to $90 million in payroll from their 2013 numbers, which includes the salaries of retiring players Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte as well as Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Curtis Granderson becoming free agents. The Yankees have a strong interest in Kuroda returning and would be amenable to Granderson if he took the one-year qualifying offer.

Derek Jeter has a player option that he can pick up that will drop his salary from $17 million to $9.5 million.

• Outfielders Vernon Wells and Alfonso Soriano will be paid nearly $44 million next season but only a fraction of it will be paid by the Yankees because of trade agreements with the Los Angeles Angels and the Chicago Cubs, respectively.

• If Alex Rodriguez's suspension is upheld, the Yankees would not be charged with the up-to-$31 million that he's due next season. Rodriguez's contract calls for $25 million, but can add an extra $6 million if he hits six more homers and ties Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time list with 660. The bonus would count toward the luxury tax."
So, if the Marchand "source" is correct, this breakdown is downright brilliant.  But there is one thing missing.  Pitching. Pitching wins ballgames and that needs to factor into the equation.


Sure, the Yankees can think big with Masahiro Tanaka and if they make a strong bid and can get the guy nailed down, that's great, but that would still only leave CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova and Tanaka.  Who will fill in the last 2 spots? I ask you, would the Yankees have the money to snatch up Tim Lincecum like I've been dreaming about? Will the 5th spot be filled with a kid like Manny Banuelos, or David Phelps or Adam Warren?  How about Michael Pineda? David Price?

There are a ton of interesting theories in this post.  All are possible, none are confirmed... but I have to give it to Marchand... the dude had a good one this time.  Good work Andrew, and do me a favor... acknowledge my "shout out", will ya? I'm giving credit where credit is due.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017