Thursday, May 16, 2013

1977: SUPERMAN, STAR WARS & REGGIE JACKSON

I was asked who I thought was the most influential Yankee in the 70’s. Who else? Reggie. Yes there were other players. Yes, others were just as important, if not more, than Reggie. But you asked me. And for me, it was Mr October.

Why?

I was a kid. The world held even more magic in those days. My childhood was idyllic. Lots of running around outside. Baseball gloves. Baseball cards. Comic books.

My Yankees were golden. Reggie Jackson was their leader. If the team was The Justice League, then Reggie was Superman. Had his poster next to Superman’s, actually. I saw them on the same level.

The year of 1977 was the Year of the Yankees. Everything was Reggie Jackson, Star Wars, baseball, my family, and the Yankees. I could not have been a happier kid. Memories of Reggie are tinged with gold.

I could bore you with what Reggie did. I could drone on about his legacy. I could espouse upon his sobriquet of Mr October. But if you are visiting this website, I don’t need to. You know who he is.

But just for argument’s sake, here’s one reason.

Here’s another.

And let’s make it three.

So there are a few points to back up my statement.

Put simply about Reggie Jackson, he is one of my heroes. Chances are he is one of yours too.

 
Chad R. MacDonald
BYB Writer
Facebook: New York Yankees the Home of Champions
My Blog: ChadRants


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017