Tuesday, July 4, 2023

ITS CLEAR HICKS CAN'T PLAY WITH THE PRESSURE OF ANNOYED YANKEE FANS

Quick note.


For one, this isn't so much a story about how happy I am that people were booing Aaron Hicks. I actually think it's ridiculous that Yankee fans were booing this guy.   

For me, this is more of a story about how I am pretty confident that the mental state of Hicks is extremely fragile. Look, I'm not shrink.  What I'm suggesting isn't anything more than an observation. But I do find it fascinating that when the pressure is on, this guy just crumbles.

There's no question Hicks knew the series of Yanks vs. Orioles was important.  But I think mentally, he just can't handle it.

Fansided writes:

"Aaron Hicks returned to Yankee Stadium on Monday...

"They're normally pretty tough on visiting players," Hicks said about Yankees fans before the Orioles' 6-3 loss....

Hicks jogged to left field and was quickly met with boos from the crowd. He was booed during his first at-bat and when the Yankees played a tribute video for him before the second inning. He went 1-for-4 with a single and a strikeout on the evening."
Now what annoys me is that the Yankees moved on and Yankee fans did not.  What is evident is that Yankees fans are clearly still in this guy's head.

Look, I have long crushed Hicks for the way he plays baseball. I'm the first guy to say it was over for him. But looking at how he's redeemed himself in Baltimore, it's clear he does still has some ability, but the difference is he has hitting coaches who give a crap and a fan base that embraced him.  Dillon Lawson did not and Yankee fans gave up on him.  And when that happened, he just crumbled.



In Hicks world, he needs to be coddled and loved to play well.  Add in adjustments from his new hitting coaches and he cannot lose. But the moment Yankee fans try and crucify him... he unravels like a ball of string falling down the stairs.  

That's not a champion... that's just a ballplayer with a weakness... and it won't bode well for Hicks future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.