Monday, November 21, 2022

WINTER'S HEATING UP! TORRES IS DRAWING TRADE INTEREST


Hang tight, Gleyber Torres fans, you may be in for a bumpy ride. I used to be a big Torres believer, and not to say I have completely changed my tune but I can see the Yankees moving on this year. Even if he starts the season, he might not stick around.

I think the Yankees should be ready and willing to listen to offers on almost anyone this season. I have one guy that I wouldn't entertain offers on but anyone else I would be open. Let's make it interesting, I am not talking about names like Josh Donaldson and Aaron Hicks who the Yankees would be ecstatic to move, and they are trying to, read more HERE. I personally think moving those two will take nothing short of a Christmas miracle, but Torres on the other hand....teams are ready to make that deal.

It may be hard for some to accept, but Torres would be one of our easiest players to move this offseason. You can argue at this point that Torres is redundant. He's a power bat but he's got swing and miss stuff when he's not right and that's become more and more frequent lately. Now there are some younger kids knocking on the door and he's projected to earn $9.8 million in arbitration this winter, he could be a pricier piece the Yankees choose to move to get a little more payroll flexibility. Crazy to think about, he's still young himself (turns 26 next month) but there are younger kids coming up behind him and some other team is going to look at his young age and still nice skillset as a no-risk no-brainer addition to their lineup.


So that's why I think Torres' days as a Yankee are numbered. I'm not saying I like it....but it's the reality of the business. Oswaldo Cabrera and Oswald Peraza both made their MLB debuts this season and Anthony Volpe is expected to make his way to the majors in 2023. I could see the Yankees making Peraza their future shortstop and once Volpe makes his way up to the majors he projects as more of a second baseman due to his below average arm but he does have good range. More reason why Torres is redundant in New York.


I'm ready to see what our young guns are made of. Torres gave us a good five years, and he just didn't reach all of the hype we were hoping for. Maybe one of these younger studs will. I'm ready to see some change on this team, and part of that could mean losing Torres....and I am ready for that possibility.



--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017