Saturday, June 6, 2020

OAKLAND A'S JOHN FISHER WILL DO THE RIGHT THING AFTER FAN PRESSURE


I love that fans and regular folks are helping to make a difference in this country recently. I have never been a fan of the man being in charge, telling everyone the way it needs to be, and yet, they do it for benefit of their own company and not just common sense to help fellow man.  That's what is going on with the Oakland Athletics.


In the wake of the COVD-19 pandemic and hundreds of minor leaguers cut or getting a reduction in pay around MLB, fan pressure has changed the Athletics idea to NOT pay minor leaguers... to now paying them. Bravo. But was it only because of fan pressure and Fisher getting dragged through the mud in the press? Or was it a moral decision? I guess we'll never know, but I'm glad they're doing the right thing.

Oakland A's owner John Fisher said this to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle:

"I changed my mind after spending a lot of time talking to our team,... "I concluded I'd made a mistake." ... 


"I've listened to our fans and others, and there is no question that this is the right thing to do... We clearly got this decision wrong. These players represent our future and we will immediately begin paying our minor-league players. I take responsibility and I'm making it right."

What moron thinks it's a good idea to not pay a minor league player trying to achieve greatness in this game? It doesn't matter if it's a pandemic or something bigger. These players are playing a game that they are treating like a job.  That the A's did originally was disgusting.

I'm glad they have come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017