Thursday, June 4, 2015

ADIOS DAVID CARPENTER!


He's gone and it needed to happen. Not to beat the guy when he is already down, but the Yankees simply couldn't keep giving this guy the ball and hoping that eventually it was going to click. He just hasn't been the guy that caught there eye back in Atlanta. Sometimes things just don't work out. When they don't you have to know when to call it quits. The Yankees finally figured it out.

No, I was not a David Carpenter fan. I realize I was hard on the guy. I still stand by what I have said in DAVID CARPENTER MAKES ME WANT TO DRINK! No matter what situation the guy walked into, he just crashed and burned. The Yankees could be up by four runs, and he would just give those runs right back. Or, when the games matter the most he could just give up the go ahead run like he did on Tuesday night's game. The Yankees tried to give him the time and space to figure it out. Eventually time has to run out. I am just glad the clock finally ran out.


The Yankees designated Carpenter and his 4.82ERA for assignment yesterday. I would be lying if I said I didn't smile when the news came out. In fact, I did a cartwheel and everyone I work with thought I had officially lost my mind. Considering how many times I would yell and scream at my television when he came into a game it is no surprise.

Every game I kept scratching my head and wondering WHY Joe Girardi kept putting so much trust in this guy. I knew he was trying to give Carpenter the chance to right the ship, but in my mind it just took too long. Finally, Girardi broke the silence, read that HERE. I am glad to see that Girardi was pulling for him but as a fan, I was aggravated that the Yankees were not seeing the weakness in the bullpen. They were gambling with a bad hand of cards at the blackjack table. Could the Yankees have more distance in a weak AL East division if it weren't for him?


There is a lot to take from this. Now that Carpenter is deemed a failure the Braves are supposedly the winner in the Manny Banuelos trade, read that HERE. It's an interesting take on the situation. However the Yankees still have Chasen Shreve on the team and Banuelos is still playing in AAA. He wasn't developing here so I am not ready to call this a failure yet.


Not to mention that somewhere in all of this mess the fans FINALLY got to see Jacob Lindgren contribute to the team. It's nice to see more youth on this team, and we have been waiting to see what the hype was all about. I was worried that the Yankees were going to choose Carpenter over Lindgren just because they could send Lindgren back down to the minors. I am glad that the Yankees made their choice based on merit.

At the end of the day this is about what is best for the team. I am sure Carpenter is a good guy. In fact, after reading how sorry he felt for letting Brian McCann down I know he is. The Yankees need results though and Carpenter didn't give us those. If in 10 days the Yankees work out a trade for someone else and he becomes a dominant reliever for another team then so be it. It isn't easy playing in New York. I wish you well in the future Carpenter and I will officially stop yelling at you now.


 

 --Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ  





You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017