Sunday, November 30, 2014

SNIFFING AROUND THE MAX SCHERZER RUMORS


Yesterday was crazy in Yankeeland. First thing I see when I log in to Twitter is that Max Scherzer has a deal on the table from the Yankees. Not even an hour later I am hearing the rumor isn't true at all. It made my head spin, and I am sure it made a lot of other fans do the same thing. It's been a quiet winter so far....so you throw a big name like Scherzer in there and of course all hell is going to break loose.

So where are we at? As of last night before I went to bed, there was no source confirming an offer was indeed made. But Casey said there was a conflicting report between 2 people he was speaking to.  He could not vague for how credible the info was because at that point, it was a whirlwind, but he said he did hear that the Yankees has planned to present a 4 or 5th year to Max Scherzer with a 1 year option to follow. They did not present it... they have it prepared. We're being cautious here at BYB, but as we wrote in MAX SCHERZER COULD BE THE YANKEE RESPONSE, after the Red Sox and the Blue Jays have made some serious moves already, we know that the Yankees are going to counter that somehow. We don't sit back and become spectators. We will fight to get back to the top in the American League East.


OK, so a 4 or 5 year deal with a 6th option... MAYBE!  It's not a bad offer, but it may not be enough. If it isn't enough....I can't say that I am too upset about it. Don't get me wrong, I like Scherzer. His stuff is nasty, and any team would be lucky to have him...but I don't want him if it is for a long term deal. Actually, if I could have my way I would hope to get Gio Gonzalez in a trade.

If Scherzer gets a 6 or 7 year deal like we initially reported yesterday in RUMOR: MAD MAX SCHERZER GETS BIG DEAL OFFERED FROM YANKEES then that means the Yankees would have Scherzer on the books up until he is 37 years old. I am just not a fan of these contracts anymore and I think we should steer away from them. What does make sense to me though is trading for Gonzalez.


Gonzalez currently has 2 years left on his contract with the Nationals, and at a pretty team friendly price. The Yankees are missing another left handed starter, which I think is crucial for Yankee stadium, we need to neutralize that short right porch somehow. CC Sabathia says he is feeling good so far, but we really can't take that chance anymore. We need another lefty, we have been missing it for awhile now.


Just like we need another lefty, the Nationals are looking for some outfield help and we have some options here. I wouldn't be surprised though if they had an eye on Aaron Judge, especially after all of his success in the Arizona Fall League. It would take more than just Judge to get this done but I wouldn't be surprised if that is a starting point.


It looks like the quiet winter may finally be over. The Hot Stove is lit and Max Scherzer started a frenzy. So how will this end? Stay tuned, you know we will have all of the information here for you when we know it.



 
 --Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ








You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017