Sunday, March 9, 2014

I'M THE DJ, HE'S THE CATCHER


For you younger fans listening to the likes of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis or Kanye West, the title of this post is a play on DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince’s record “He’s The DJ, I’m The Rapper”.



I find the more I kick it “Old Skool”, the more I date myself into a depression…but at least I experienced actual Hip Hop!  Before this ringtone, one and done version of sample “rap”. I mean aside from Eminem and a handful of…. I’m getting off topic and that is an argument for another day and another post.

I love music the way I love baseball. I’ve always said that watching a ballgame is like listening to a great record. You can’t just listen to the hit track and turn it off. You have to take it all in. Don’t show up on the 3rd song and stop listening before the end. What are you Dodger fans? I’m kidding…no, no I’m not. Moving on!

I like all kinds of music. My playlists will include Punk. Ska, R&B, Hip Hop, Classic Rock, Blue Grass, Country, Pop and so on. I even have a few Kelly Clarkson numbers on in my itunes library. Hey, the young lady can sing.

I played in a band for a while. We did Celtic folk and punk, did Warp Tours, put out DIY records (Punkers know DIY). It was an amazing time and I miss it like breathing, but it was time to move on… and the floors off Comfort Inns in Kansas City and Salt Lake started to do a number on my rickety back.


One of the things I always listen for when I am at a ballgame is the warm up and walk up music the players chose. It often gives me a feel for their personality. I loved Paul O’Neill walking up to The Who’s “Baba O’Riley” and when Derek Jeter returned (albeit briefly) last year and walked up to Eminem’s Square Dance” I got the feeling that I was at a great concert. Music adds to the game in so many ways.



This year we have a few new Yankees ready to put on the Pinstripes and share with us their musical favorites. One of the guys I am looking forward to see coming to the plate is Brian McCann…and I’m hoping to influence his decision a bit. So here are songs I’d like Mr. McCann to have a listen to and maybe make his 2014 walk up music.

Yes, it’s fair to say that being an Irish kid and it being March I am picking Brian because of his last name and heritage. It is no secret that I am a Proud Paddy to be sure.



So right off the bat I’d like to throw “Warriors” or “Loaded Gun” by my brothers Flatfoot 56 into the mix for the Yankee backstop. Flatfoot 56 is an outstanding, hardworking band from Chicago’s South Side and if these songs doesn’t get you out of your seat I don’t know what will. It has fire and charge and that hint of Celtic flare with bagpipes embedded in its backbone.

I love the Dropkick Murphys. We got to open for them a handful of times and they are great guys, but their allegiance to the Red Sox will keep them out of the mix here.



I’d love to say that Johnny Cash does the best version of “The Man in Black”. He is, after all, THE MAN IN BLACK, but New Jersey’s Bouncing Souls do an outstanding cover and I think that it would be a great choice for McCann. It grabs you like Paulie’s “Baba O’Riley” did.


So that two punk songs…let’s shake it up a bit. We’ll stay in Jersey and go with The Gaslight Anthem’s “59 Sound”. Jack Curry would most certainly urge McCann to grab anything this band plays and run. They are great, but this title track is just outstanding.


Now I said I like Hip Hop and even sort of took a shot and the current state of the genre. So here I'm going all the way back to 1988 and Public Enemy’s “Louder Than A Bomb”. There is no greater MC voice in my opinion than Chuck D. He not only commands respect but he screams NEW YORK CITY. Kick it around, Bri.



If I were going to suggest a Classic Rock song I’d have to choose something from The Who. People say you are either a Stones or Beatles fan…I always say,"No, I'm a Who fan."  I just have been a fan since my mom was cool enough to give me her copy of  “Who’s Next”. So I will suggest “The Seeker” (The Live version. Townshend’s guitar is just ridiculously powerful). I can hear it now as they announce Brian's name at the Stadium.


I’d be remiss if I didn’t throw a Mighty Regis (My old band) song in the mix for this. Not for the shameless plug, but for the work my buddy Brett did on the song “Celtic Storm”. He plays a mandolin like Charlie Daniels plays the fiddle.


So yeah, Brian should have a listen to “Celtic Storm” on the record “21” by The Mighty Regis…it’s on itunes etc…

Finally I think I’d like to throw in an AC/DC song…yeah, it’s been done, but that’s because it works. So maybe McCann marches up to “Long Way To The Top (if you wanna Rock n Roll) . Again, just a thought.


Now I have no earthly idea what McCann listens to or what he will walk up to, but I’d like to get him to check out some of these songs. Baseball is on the horizon, TURN IT UP!

Here are the choices again:

“Warriors” – Flatfoot 56
“Loaded Gun” – Flatfoot 56
“The Man in Black” – The Bouncing Souls (cover)
“Louder Than A Bomb” – Public Enemy
“59 Sound” – The Gaslight Anthem
“Celtic Storm” – The Mighty Regis
“Long Way To The Top (If you wanna Rock n Roll)" – AC/DC
“The Seeker” – The Who

Oh... and do you more posts about Walk Up songs and the New York Yankees? Be sure to also check out some classic posts on BYB from the archives:
 
WHICH YANKEE WALK-UP SONGS WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
REINVENTING THE YANKEE WALK UP SONGS: PART 1
REINVENTING THE YANKEE WALK-UP SONGS: PART II
REINVENTING THE YANKEE WALK-UP SONGS: PART III

Always entertaining...




--Mike O'Hara, MLB Fan Cave Host, Season 1
   Twitter: @mikeyoh21
"Paulie was always my favorite player."


 


You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. What is it with American bands that love to shout about their love for their Irish heritage only to use Scottish bagpipes in their music? As a true Scotsman I truly don't get it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017