Saturday, June 22, 2013

I SEE ALFONSO SORIANO HAPPENING BEFORE MANNYWOOD

The timing is pretty perfect actually.  With the Yankees offense punch-less as of late, there was wide speculation that the Yankees need to make a trade for hitting.  Of course, the other night, Richard Justice's ESPN piece suggesting Manny Ramirez would be a "possible" fit for the Yankees caught fire, (Read HERE), much like Justice expected. It was provocative, it was a big name that the Yankees could afford. It was also silly in my view. My point simply was why take a chance on another former PEDs user when we already have a few? Why make trouble for yourself if your the Yankees was my argument. I was criticized, but some agreed.  Hey, that's what BYB is all about! Different opinions on different ideas, just keep it clean, this is baseball we're talking about, not curing cancer.


But back to "timing". The Chicago Cubs are ready to sell and it was clear yesterday when the traded Brent Lillibridge to the Yankees for cash considerations, read HERE. The Yankees, even though they don't seem to be making big moves, are definitely working the phones behind the scenes to get whatever stability they need in their lineup. In other words, they need "pop" right now and the need to start hitting consistently. It's my opinion that Alfonso Soriano would most likely be available and to be honest, even though the guy strikes out a lot, he's not a lazy player, he's not a former PEDs user either.


What he is. is a former Yankee with power and alittle athletic ability left for the outfield. In comparison, Manny has pop but not much else.  So, if comparing the 2 on surface, I choose Soriano. Sure, we'd be rolling the dice on that strikeout ratio, but I'd rather roll it on Alfonso, because, the timing is right and the baggage is less. I mean, let's keep it simple here.

You may disagree. You may say that Manny has the pop and hits more and you'll tolerate the baggage to ensure a championship. All I say is, I hear you and I get it, but 2 things... Manny doesn't ensure a championship and with all the talk of PEDs, I'd rather try and extinguish the "chatter" about it as much as we can in the Yankees clubhouse.


We already hear it enough with daily questions about Alex Rodriguez. Let that die and pass on principle. Plus, with Soriano, he finishes his career how he started and who knows, maybe he rejuvenates himself, Like Ichiro, like Vernon Wells (for the month of April.)

So yeah... Soriano or Ramirez... For me... I think I'm going Soriano.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017