Tuesday, April 2, 2013

REMEMBERING MY OWN YANKEES HOME OPENER

There is something very special about Opening Day at Yankee Stadium, not to mention Opening week. I cannot explain it, but being there personally,  it feels like it is a rite of passage to start a season off. Truth be told, ever since I was a kid I dreamed of going to one of these, but I had never been able to go to a home opener until last year - April 13, 2012. In prior years I was either unable to find tickets or some other work obligation prevented me from going. In early 2012, I decided that it was time.

It was a beautiful warm sunny spring day, perfect for baseball. The Stadium was buzzing with excitement, as we were all glad that baseball was back at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees had already played six games, but they finally arrived here at home, and I was fortunate enough to be one of the 50,000 or so fans to greet them.
After entering the gates, I took in the great hall. If you have never seen it, you HAVE to go. It is difficult to put into words how great it is. Enormous pictures of Yankee greats, with fans milling about, shops and concession stands throughout - a truly majestic tribute to the organization. I was able to see the newly opened Yankees museum. If you have never been there, it is at about the middle deck, right-field side. If you get there early, take the time. It was like being at Cooperstown, but focused on Yankee history.
Of course, a walk through Monument Park was absolutely necessary. Seeing the plaques and the monuments brought back lots of memories of the Yankee greats honored there, as well as the old Yankee Stadium, where the shrine was located behind the bullpen. I could write pages and pages about all the great history that is in those hallowed walls, but ending the dearth of baseball experience in this way was perfect.

It was time to take my seat as the festivities began. I had the fortune of seeing the giant U.S. flag being unfurled in the outfield, as they played the National Anthem. Yes, I sang it at the ballpark and yes, it was a solo. Nevertheless, on this particular day, it felt good to open Yankee Stadium like this. My adrenaline started to pump as the Navy F-18's did a flyover and we were almost at first pitch.
The place erupted as Jorge Posada and his son took the field for the ceremonial first pitch. I have always been a fan of Jorge, and seeing the struggles of his last season, you knew that being on this side of retirement had to be tough. We screamed our lungs out as he walked out, and we did not stop until he left the field. The Yankees could not have made a better pick for the home opener this year.

Then we got to watch some great baseball. The Angels, having signed Albert Pujols, were the team to beat and we had them in our opener. Hiroki Kuroda, who was shelled the week before, pitched brilliant shutout baseball against a loaded lineup until his pitch count demanded a reliever. We saw Alex Rodriguez launch a homer deep into dead-center field, and Curtis Granderson launch one into the right field seats. The final score was 5-0 in our favor. It was an awesome day, filled with great emotions and great memories.



--Ike Dimitriadis, BYB Writer
Twitter: @KingAgamemnon



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017