Friday, April 26, 2013

NO JETER, NO PROBLEM?


For the first month of the season, the Yankees have been playing ball without their captain, Derek Jeter. While his presence is missed on he field and in the dugout, the Yankees have been doing well. So, you have to wonder what would happen if it became possible that Jeter would be out for the rest of the season?

Let me be clear, Jeter said he will be back this year. I want to believe that to be true. But, we all know that life is a fickle thing. Sometimes you get thrown a curve ball. There is a possibility that he could be riding pine for the season. I'm not saying that I don't trust Jeter. He told the fans, and media, what his physicians have told him. It is what they believe to be true. But, to put it bluntly, shit happens. Remember last season with Brett Gardner and the bum elbow? A 15 day DL stint ended up in a season ending injury.

It is a possibility that I have thought about. Hypothetically, what would happen if he couldn't make it back this season? It's simple! The Yankees play the way that the Yankees are supposed to!

So far, our guys have really stepped up to the plate. With Jeter, Mark Teixeira and Curtis Granderson all out, we shouldn't be doing as well as we are doing. Robinson Cano is in a zone at the moment. Andy Pettitte, CC Sabathia and Hiroki Kuroda are all pitching incredibly well. I've said it before, they are playing like they have something to prove. There is a fire in their bellies right now. It's a beautiful thing to watch. So they keep playing hard. They keep going out there leaving their blood, sweat and tears on the field. They know it's a go big or go home situation. 

As for Jeter, so he gets a little extra time to rest. It will give him the opportunity for his ankle to heal completely and he gets back in playing shape for 2014. When Jeter does return, I don't want there to be any concern about the health of his ankle. I want him to play his heart out like he usually does. If he needs the extra time to make sure that is what will happen, so be it. 

Look, I'm not doubting our Captain. I know that he is dedicated to the team and the game. He will do everything in his power to get back this season because that is what he said he will do. But I am realistic and I know that anything can happen. I want Jeter to return this season. I want to see him in the short stop position. But if, for some reason, doesn't happen, that's okay too. As long as he heals properly and gets to play hard when he comes back.



--Erica Morales, BYB Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017