Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WHY SPRING'S COMING

I have never been so excited about seeing the boys of summer show up at Spring Training as bad as I do today. I woke up to 2 inches of ice on my steps and driveway and it will sit there frozen until 8 tonight when I get home from work and try and break it up. Not going to happen. I want to go to Tampa. Now. I can't stand it.

When the Yankees show up at Spring Training and YES and the local stations start to do their live shots from there, you forget all about the weather here...at least for that minute. We love seeing our boys, new players in their new pinstripes and the rookies trying to make a name for themselves. In years past, watching the games in the spring were all about the new faces trying to make the major league club. My friends always get bored because the starting lineups get taken out by the third inning and suddenly it's a "JV game", according to many. Not to me though, It's fun to see the high numbers take a shot. Number 92? Who the hell is that? Never heard of him. Is he a prospect? Can he hit?

This year especially will be competitive considering what the Yankees did this winter, a lot of low risk pitching mixed with youngsters and the catching situation could prove to be competitive as well. I can only imagine Freddy Garcia, who wants to be in New York, shows us something and gets a role in the back of the rotation. I don't see Bartolo Colon coming up unless we have some issues in the bullpen or we need him to make an emergency start. And what a great story it would be if Mark Prior went against the odds and pitched his way out of the bullpen role and into the starting rotation. Time will tell, but I'm rooting for that.


Reports are Jeter, Russell Martin and others are already in Tampa and have been for a few weeks working out the kinks. Obviously, nothing would make me happier than seeing Andy there. Secretly I hope he just shows up one day and surprises all of us. I know his ego doesn't operate that way, but I'd accept it from Andy this time.

It's February 2nd freaks... the big rat didn't see his shadow this year. So what does that mean? Spring's coming and not a second too soon.

Day 94 Andy... Where are you?


Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017