Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WHY I HATE NUGGETS LIKE THIS

“In conversations with Yankees people, Sherman never got the impression that they liked Freddy Garcia that much.”
- - MLB Trade Rumors

I’m not annoyed at MLB Trade Rumors for that quote, I love them and I read them constantly. I’m more upset at the nugget from well respected sports guy Joel Sherman. Now, don't take this the wrong way, Joel Sherman is not at fault, laziness is. Let's analyze. The Yankee peeps he talked to didn’t give him the impression that the Yankees liked Freddy Garcia that much? I’ll tell you why that’s ridiculous to the fans of the Yankees…

We have all sat here as fans this winter waiting for some kind of move in the pitching department to better our club. The Yankees and Cashman made it clear they didn’t want to spend a lot of money, we wanted low risk pitching. The Yankees put many restrictions out there on what they wanted to do, and at the end of the day, they still wanted a winning team on the field. If that is the case, and I believe ultimately it is, why would the Yankees “not care for Garcia”, yet sign him? Who needs dead weight or even a crappy pitcher if they wanted to win? My guess is, Sherman talked to the wrong Yankee people. Perhaps he spoke to the Yankee people that didn’t personally like Freddy Garcia. Maybe the people he spoke to weren’t in the everyday free agent meetings or the financial meetings or the meetings with Cashman directly. I don’t understand what a nugget like this gets us except poor observation and bad rumors.

My feeling is Freddy Garcia was the best option on the table for the New York Yankee and they knew they had a chance of experience and depth at the back end of the rotation with him. I DO NOT think the Yankees settled. If they did, they settled for the best option. Liking or disliking a player is irrelevant. They Yankees want to win, Garcia, based on medical records, career and his wanting to play in pinstripes was the best option. Period. The Yankees may not have made the best moves this year, but there is something to be said about the way items like this needs to be reported.

Look, I’m a blogger, I’m a fan and yes, it's different than being a reporter or beat writer. I just get personally annoyed when riffs and rumors are started based on nothing. It can make for an edgy clubhouse. At the end of the day, the Yankees need a winning team on the field. If that means Garcia can help with that, let’s do it. If that means Garcia is an S.O.B. or the Yankees aren’t “fond” of him… well, I don’t care and I don’t need to know… I say, just go win.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017