Tuesday, February 8, 2011

WHY ALEX CAN'T GET A BREAK

According to Bill Zwecker at the Chicago Sun-Times, Alex Rodriguez was pissed when the live shot at the Super Bowl caught him getting fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz to the entire world.

OK, listen. A few things here:
1. My wife feeds popcorn to me at sporting events all the time, Why doesn't anyone put the camera on me?

2. Yes, A-Rod is a celebrity and probably one of the most famous Yankees ever. But he also was finally able to win a championship and feel comfortable in his own skin. 2009 was huge for Alex. For the love of God, this kind of crap ONLY happens to Alex. Leave the dude alone already.

Zwecker writes: “He really went ballistic — thinking the cameraman was out to get them in a paparazzi-like shot."

Look, I'm the first to admit, I thought Alex was an overpaid athlete back when he came to New York. I thought he was clueless when it came to the press, immature and was hated by all his teammates because of his self-centered attitude. Now, I find him to be more mature, smarter when dealing with the press and self-centered still. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. My point is championships give closure to athletes and what happened in 2009 finally tamed Alex. He figured it out. All those compromising situations involving blonde chicks in Toronto or shirtless days in Central Park or "alleged" arguments with Jeter ended. Finally, Alex was Alex, not A-Rod. And I think he's was really OK with that. The last thing he needed was the "popcorn feeding seen 'round the world" incident.
So why am I ranting? Much like Alex, I also believe that people love embarrassing this guy. I just wish it would just end. Alex is a great athlete. For once, I'd love him to just concentrate on baseball and not be surrounded with distractions. After all, he may be a celebrity, but he's also human.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever attended or been to the Spring Training facility in Tampa?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017