Saturday, June 8, 2013

RISING TO THE OCCASION

My sons are each about to play the games of their lives.  In Little League, every game is important to a kid, but in the playoffs, it's so very important. Both of my boys are playing for their respective teams. For one of them, well, let's just say it's a must win.  For the other, he just wants the season over.  It's amazing how 2 brothers can be so different, but that's where we are in my house right now... and I'm OK with that.

Passion for the game means a lot in sports. I see it in my oldest who has worked his rear off and hopes to win a trophy this season.  My younger boy loves the trophy, but understands that if he doesn't win it, life goes on and there's only next time. My oldest believes there is no next time. I laugh when I think about the difference.

Whatever happens this evening will be historic for both. No, they are not facing off against each other, not yet at least, but they will be playing tough teams, aggressive teams and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  In the end though, I have noticed 2 Little League teams with tremendous heart, true courage and a talent that has only gotten stronger over their long seasons.  The players on each team are believers, they root each other on and have learned to play as a team and respect each other. If you saw my club on day one, it would seem like tonight would never have happened, but it has and they are there and there is nothing better now than looking back and seeing how much they've grown. 

I've love to take credit for my older son's team, me being the manager and all, but I can't. These kids have developed on their own with that Jorge Posada fire in their belly and the belief that anything is possible.  My younger son's coach is extraordinary with a coaching staff made for the the Little League Hall of Fame or something.  They are that good.  My coaches are courteous, kind and fair and too deserve huge props for their patience and teachings all season, but in the end, we are the vehicles... and we guide these kids with the will to win.

Tonight in a semi-final game for both.  Both sides can truly understand the thrill of victory. They could also truly learn about the agony of defeat and whatever side they wind up on, as a team, it will be the biggest rush of emotion. There will be laughing or crying today... hard, but this is what you play for and in the end, that's what baseball is all about.  You come in as a group of players and go out like a team win or lose, and it's extraordinary and emotional and uplifting all at the same time.

So do your best "Atta boy" today, for 2 teams looking to make it to the finals... for 2 sons who can be so opposite, yet, still make me so damn proud.

Good Luck tonight Gentlemen... good luck.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017