Saturday, April 27, 2013

ARE GRANDERSON'S DAYS IN PINSTRIPES NUMBERED?

Okay, I have to be honest.  I miss Derek Jeter.  I miss Mark Teixeira.  And I actually have moved on when it comes to Alex Rodriguez.  But, I just don’t miss Curtis Granderson.  Does this mean that his days in pinstripes are numbered?  Can we get along without the fiercely passionate, philanthropic Curtis Granderson?  I say yes, we can.

Curtis Granderson (broken right forearm) took indoor batting practice for the first time on Wednesday morning, manager Joe Girardi said. Girardi estimated Granderson took 15 swings. A couple more days of that,” Girardi said, “and he’ll go out on the field [for batting practice],” stated an article in the New Jersey Star Ledger earlier this week. Read HERE.

We here at Bleeding Yankee Blue believe, or are extremely hopeful that Grandy will be back sometime in May, but honestly, do we just get him healthy and unload him later in the year for maybe some much needed pitching before the trade deadline?  That, my friends, could be a good solution for us as we head down a path this summer that will be very difficult for sure.

At the end of the year, ESPN pushed out an article entitled, Six reasons to trade Curtis Granderson.  In the article, the writer, Andrew Marchand makes some reasonable assertions in Grandy’s age, value, defense, and strikeouts.  But his last one got to me- his passion-less demeanor.  Marchand claims that Granderson, “at the end of the year, he seemed a bit out of it.”  Not sure I agree here.  I think we had a horrible end to our season last year.  I don’t think anyone would dispute me here, but to call Granderson out of it or passion-less is just wrong and that’s certainly not the reason to trade Grandy.  I think the Yankees need to rebuild and I am not sure that Grandy, like Russell Martin or Nick Swisher, is part of the future of the team.  And, we might as well get some value out of him in a trade late in the season.

According to an article published in SI.com (HERE), at the beginning of the season “At least Brett Gardner, the sparkplug centerfielder, has returned to health, after a 2012 season in which an elbow injury limited him to 16 games. "I feel great," Gardner says. "I feel really rejuvenated and fresh." And he has been showing that on the field both offensively batting .250 with an OBP .319 and defensively with fast moving plays in centerfield.

I am always an optimistic, never a pessimist when it comes to our players.  And I don’t think I being a pessimist here, I am being a realist.  Let’s move on from Grandy and keep our options open for possible trades.  Do I want Cliff Lee, no?  But I know that pitching is a prime, so somebody will want to come pitch in the Bronx come this summer.  



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017