Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WHY BRETT GARDNER'S SORELY MISSED


People dismiss Brett Gardner all the time, the little guy that only slaps at the ball and just offers speed.  I hate the dismissal of this guy.  He’s valuable.  It was so evident to me first when we lost him in the outfield and the Yankees scrambled to fill the hole with guys like Andruw Jones and Raul Ibanez, then converted infielder Jayson Nix into a left fielder. They even called up and stuck Dewayne Wise out there…great defensively, but can’t hit a lick.

To me, it’s simple.  You lose Gardy, you lose energy on the ball club. I don’t just mean in the field, I mean with the bat as well.  Gardner has speed out of the box, he has the ability to slap the ball to the left side, he can bunt, he “sparks” a rally.  It makes no difference that he’s batting 9th, he’s considered the second lead off guy at the back end of the lineup.  People don’t appreciate that, or should I say, they didn’t…until now.
The Yankee bats are flat and having Gardy on base only provides Derek Jeter to knock him home.  That’s a runner in score position that with his legs, we can get him home.  People don’t think about speed as a valuable trait…I do and I always did, since Rickey Henderson and before that with guys like Lou Brock or even someone like Tim Raines, with the Expos and even later with the Yankees. 
(In Photo: Tim Raines)
Speed gets the runs home. Think about what the Yankees have accomplished without it… not too much…

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017