Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WHY MARK TEIXEIRA'S COMMENTS SHOCKED ME A BIT


Mark Teixeira is a team player.  I’ve always dug him and this stems from his time with the Texas Rangers.  Just a truly likable guy, a hard worker on the field and 9 times out of 10, he provides results on the field.  I love his guts and I love his pride…and even through it all, last night he got a nice hit in the shift, you gotta love that. Bottom line, I love his pride and I always thought he had it... but it almost appears like the pressure of not delivering lately combined with angry fans is getting to him.

2 nights ago, Mark Teixeira was dropped to 7th in the batting order, read HERE.  Sure, it probably wasn’t the ideal situation for Tex. All players get used to and adjust to the same spot in the order each and every night.  But let’s face it, if you don’t deliver, something needs to be done…and so Joe Girardi did it. OK, so far I’m on board and even though Mark wasn’t “jazzed” about it, he did it and continued to struggle.

What this post is about is not about his slump, it’s about his comments that no one except Bleeding Yankee Blue picked up on.  When speaking of the slump and the order drop, Teixeira said this:

“Everyone knows I’m not 100 percent…I’ve just been really trying to grind it the last, well, really the whole season basically. It just makes you appreciate when you are healthy…”

He went on: “I’m still Mark Teixeira…I’ve still put some pretty good numbers in my career, so I don’t think they’re going to just start under-handing it to me. I wish they would, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

You may look at these quotes and think, “What’s the big deal?” Believe me, it’s a big deal.  First off,  Tex is clearly not well, and that goes back to his chronic cough which appears to still be lingering.  Read HERE.  I know the guys concerned about it. He was quoted saying he talked to "every doctor" who said: "Rest is kind of the final straw here for us.”  

(In Photo: Eric Chavez)
Here’s a thought, be a team player and pull yourself from the lineup, get a battery of tests, take a week off, put Eric Chavez in your spot and re-group.  Tex doesn’t realize it but “forcing it” as I like to call it is only hurting the team.

Then let's analyze the next quote. When he goes on talking in third person about his amazing career….it’s almost like Alex Rodriguez and Tex switched personalities…I mean are you kidding?  Tex, we love you, we know what you’ve done in your career, that’s why you’re a New York Yankee…you just need to get well. I don’t like excuses and I am not a fan of third person…that’s just weird and out of the norm for Mark Teixeira isn’t it?

At the end of the day, Mark Teixeira will be fine, but 1 off day for every 7 game days isn’t going to cut it.  Mark Teixeira needs a real R&R, 5 to 7 days... shut the guy down, get him back to health so his minds not thinking about his health and when he’s better, get the guy focused.  We need Tex healthy…not hurting...that will ultimately help the team, don't you think?

 ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017