Thursday, March 17, 2011

WHY I'LL NEVER FORGET OCTOBER 16, 2003

So many memories from that crazy game! I am so glad Aaron Boone ended it in the 11th for two reasons:
  • First, I was hanging with some friends at Rosie O'Grady's Bar in midtown Manhattan and I'm pretty sure I was pushing the individual record for, how many "this-Buds-for-you" I could drink. Catch my drift?
  • Second, and most important, we put a dagger in the hearts of the evil Red Sox and Sox Nation as well, that in my lifetime, I may never see that happen so suddenly again.
There may be some other great, dramatic wins against the Red Sox in the future, but never duplicated in the drama or pure joy like that night in the Bronx! Sure, the Red Sox humbled us a bit the very next year, but, for some reason, I think a lot of us Yankee fans started seeing the writing on the wall in Game 4 in 2004 knowing that the Sox may be clawing their way back into this thing. Sure enough, as we all know, History was made in 7 games. Honestly, as upset as I was after Game 7 in 2004, I swear, I was still feeling all warm and tingly remember Boone's
blast. I guess it made the pain hurt less.

Obviously, the Boone walk off homer in the 11th to win it will be the #1 highlight whenever that game is examined, and rightfully so. But there were so many other moments in that game that makes it the greatest Yankee game I've ever watched! Yep, the greatest! To me, it is The Yankee Classic of all Classics.
Remember...this was Clemens vs. Martinez rematch from Game 3. That little old Game 3 where Pedro should have been charged with senior abuse after tossing Don Zimmer to the ground! I just remember anticipating another pitchers duel, but when the Yankees fell behind 4 runs, I have to admit, I was getting a bit nervous.

Remember... Moose came in and threw 3 shutout innings of relief. NOBODY remembers that, but it was huge that night. It was the first time in Mussina's career that he pitched in relief and in this game, coming through the way he did, it's really amazing it isn't talked about more when his career is brought up in discussion. In fact, I bet you if you asked him about highlights in his career, those three innings might be in his top 10.

Remember... Jason Giambi hit two solo homeruns. Those two runs turned out to be huge!

Remember... the eight inning! The moment Grady Little became the new Bill Buckner in Boston, allowing Pedro Martinez to talk him into keeping him in the game. I remember hearing a few of the Boston fans in the bar when Little left Pedro in the game. It was like the grounder under Buckner's legs all over again! Meanwhile, I said, "YES!, Keep him in!" Oh, and, go figure, the Captain is the one who hits the double to get the comeback underway!

Remember... Mariano going 3 innings, and holding Boston. That was just sick! The heart Mo showed to me that night is what legends are made of. Again, after it is all said and done, when we one day look back on the great Mariano Rivera, those three innings will be in the top of my list of his great accomplishments -- and like Mike Mussina, I bet you that it will be on his list as well! And who can forget that image of Mo collapsing on the mound at the end of the game, crying! Can anyone say goose bumps!

Remember... the nail in the Red Sox Nation coffin! In the words of longtime Yankee broadcaster, Charlie Steiner (that was a joke!), "AAARROONN BOOONNEE!"
By the way, I know there are a gazillion videos on You Tube of Boone's homerun. I found this one the other day that just mesmerized me. It's raw, the camera is jumpy, and there are a few times the tape jams up, but where this person was sitting and the raw emotion of what was happening that night in Yankee Stadium is captured perfectly from a fans perspective. Anyway, if you want to watch it here is the link:


P.S. Feel free to let me know where you rank this game in your all time list in the comment box below or hit me on twitter @MikeyBlue2323


--Mikey Blue BYB Senior Writer


Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

5 comments:

  1. That game ranks in my top five...quite possibly #1. It's the day my daughter converted to a Yankee fan after watching Pedro's antics!! Great blog! _Christy Florio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories....wow.

    I remember it well, as a 3rd generation Yankees fan I was watching it with my mother (she has been a Yankees fan for over 70 years, even growing up in Cuba) and my dad was on a business trip in Honduras, but he was calling in inning by inning, :-)))

    Didn't one of Giambi's HRs just clear the wall and Damon's glove, right???

    And Mo's 3 innings were truly magical, indeed, still gives me goose bumps as I write this!

    The huge hit by Matsui off Pedro and Posada's bloop single, etc.

    Of course, about 10-12 days later, I had to endure the city of Miami (I am a native down here) celebrate their championship...I wanted to go postal, LOL

    Great post! Let's Go Yankees, Down with BeanTown

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be honest with you this game is the one that make me the proudest as a yankee fan.i was watching the game at my homeland the dominican republic and at the time they were a lot of red sox fans all because of pedro,manny and big papi being dominican.i was in a local bussines with a lot of red sox fans they were goin hard at me making fan of me and asking for me to go get my yankee cap so they cant just burned.but i went to my house and got my cap and just like that the yankee rally start.went aaron bonne hit that home run i was going crazy dancing and going hard on them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! That really was a great game, and that video gave me chills!!!! I remember I was off that night, and after Boone's HR my supervisor called me asking if I had seen it.... I was like HELL YES!!!! Such an exciting moment in Yankee history!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the greatest game ever. I dont care what everyone else thinks. This had everything in it including a Yankees win and an American League Championship. I was in fifth grade and it was one of my most favorite memories as a fan. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017