Friday, September 25, 2026

THE YANKEES HAVE AN ACE. WHY IS AARON BOONE HESITATING?


Cam Schlittler has spent the season making the hardest decision in the Yankees’ playoff rotation look easy. He is the American League Cy Young favorite, and the Yankees have a short Wild Card Series to win. Give him the ball in Game 1.

Yet when Bryan Hoch asked Aaron Boone whether Schlittler would start the opener, the answer was: “We’ll see. Not necessarily.” Boone explained that starting Game 1 or Game 2 would leave a pitcher available for the same potential starts in the Division Series. I understand the calendar. I also understand that you have to get to the Division Series first. 

This is what drives me crazy about Boone. A straightforward playoff call becomes a discussion of future matchups and hypothetical schedules. Schlittler has earned the opener with what he has done this season. In a best-of-three series, I want my best pitcher setting the tone before the Yankees have a chance to fall behind.

Then I would go to Carlos Rodón in Game 2. Rodón has put together a remarkably steady run, including 24 consecutive starts allowing no more than three runs as of September 12. That is the kind of reliability I want when momentum is on the line. 

Gerrit Cole’s name and résumé command respect. They should not make this decision for Boone. Cole recently allowed seven home runs across two starts, though he followed that stretch with a stronger outing against Arizona. That is a pitcher I still value. It is not, to me, the strongest case for handing him Game 1 over Schlittler. 

Does Boone worry about Cole’s standing in the clubhouse? Is he waiting for Brian Cashman and the front office to settle the order? I cannot know that, but I will bet it's one of them, cause the dude can't make hard decisions. Boone’s hesitation says it all. His job under playoff pressure is to make the call that gives the Yankees their best chance to win, even if an established ace has to hear that someone else goes first.

To me, this is the roadblock the Yankees keep running into. Boone can explain a decision ten different ways. When October arrives, I want a manager who sees what is in front of him and acts on it.

Start Schlittler. Follow him with Rodón. Make Cole part of the plan without letting his reputation dictate it. If Boone keeps managing for the series after this one before winning the series in front of him, don’t act shocked if the Yankees are home early, off hunting for the winter.

Boone, my friends, is the problem we have in October. That's the bottom line.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.