In the mid 90’s the “Jam Band Movement” hit this country like the British Invasion of the early 1960s. Suddenly songs elongated from around 3 and a half minutes to 15 minutes of vamping, flourishes, solos and breakdowns. Some of it was ok…at first. However, it wore out its welcome quicker than your typical jam band tune.
Most of those puka shell necklace wearing outfits - Rusted Root, Widespread Panic, Dispatch and Big Head Todd & The Monsters – have drifted into the ether. There is one band that, in many ways, have become the New York Yankees of Jam Band music…THE DAVE MATTHEWS BAND.
Much like the Bronx Bombers, this crew packs them in on the road. They have a massive, loyal following. Even causal music fans are familiar with their act…the way someone who’s never watched baseball knows who the Yankees are. Unfortunately, the comparisons aren’t all a good thing.
I recently saw David and his gang…twice…in 3 weeks’ time. The first time in Camden just across the bridge from Philadelphia (I bet someone I was with that no matter what we’d hear a E A G L E S! spelling chant…you never disappoint, Philly…. awful.)
The second show was in the Insurance Capital of the World…Hartford, CT. What was the takeaway? Well, I still like many of Matthews’ songs. Dave and his band are very talented and the rush of memories of past shows made nostalgia hit like the contact high hanging in the air like a sad, hippie quilt. The other thing I left with is how formulaic it has all become. Sure, the set list is different each night but the rest…the rest is just the same old song. Dave is quirky. He offers up a few, “Thank y’all very, very much. We hope you’re having a nice time.” He may toss in a political nugget or dance like a Muppet with his loose leg hops and struts. Then we are treated to DMB’s Free Bird. A song as tied to a Dave Matthews show as New York, New York is to Yankee Stadium.
It’s catchy. Everyone knows the words…or has made up their own. It’s a great ending song…but it’s canned. The band walks off and gives us the 7-minute rest period before returning for the encore. It was fine. I enjoyed the show…but not as much as I once did.
The Yanks are the DMB. HUGE! DYNASTIC! CHAMPIONSHIP PROVEN! EXCITING...in the 1990s. Back when Stick Michaels was the “Tour Manager”.
The club is now like the shows I saw. They dine out on old stories. They still bring in the audiences. They make you nostalgic with Paul O’Neill Nights, Bernie Bobble Heads or letting us watch Nelly groove one to Nick Swisher so he can go yard.
Brian Cashman is the record exec using yesterday and loyal fan base to hold down a job he does poorly.
He knows the formula gets us just “good enough”…but that’s it? We do the same song every year and get the same story when it goes upside down at season’s end. We leave the ballpark in the Bronx the way I left the Dave Matthews shows…I’m a fan…but not like I was.
Sure, they’re still the Yanks. He’s still Dave Matthews…and even to a punker like me the dude is worth seeing. But it’s not new…it’s not evolving.
Look, we have Judge. We do have great pitchers. And Dave has put out a new song here and there that is solid…but it’s touring the old stuff to let older-ish folks from the 90s feel like high school and college kids again. It’s not about winning new fans or bringing in a championship. The formula is there…so the dollars will follow…until they don’t.
So, take these chances…place them in a box…until a quieter time…lights down you up and die.
I’ll always like Dave and his talented band. I will always love the New York Yankees…but the shows pale to the 90s versions.
Bleeding Yankee Blue Contributor






No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.