Monday, August 14, 2023

THE SIGHTS & SOUNDS OF DEFEAT IN THE YANKEE LOCKER ROOM ARE DEAFENING!


I wasn't alive during the Yankees disastrous years from 1965-1968 but boy have I been hearing from a lot of fans who were. I was alive during the losing years between 1989-1992 and I really wish I wasn't referencing those right now.... but I am.

Yesterday sucked. The Yankees never should've lost that game, but they did, and it feels like a new low point for the season. The Yankees aren't giving us any reason to think differently either. It's normal to hear Yankee fans be frustrated and even feel like this season is just out of reach. Maybe some of us are ready to refocus on next season. I've heard that from some of my friends and family.... but is that how the Yankees feel too?


Sure feels like it, you can read what NJ.com had to say about it HERE. When the Yankees spoke to the media after the game they looked and sounded like they had given up. Gerrit Cole was noticeably shorter with his responses. Sometimes I think the guy rambles, but that was not the case this time. He was short and to the point. I can't believe Cole has only won 10 games this season and the Yankees couldn't even hold on to give him number 11.


If you needed a visual, I think Clay Holmes shirt said it all. If there was a shirt to depict how we all feel (including him) that was it. When he spoke with the media, he wore a shirt that said "I'm sick about it" in bold text above a puking face. The shirt is fitting yet infuriating at the same time. The Yankees know they are underperforming considering they are supposed to be this championship caliber team. Don't try and make light of it by adding humor to the situation.... maybe I'm just not in the mood for it.

And speaking of not being in the mood, I wasn't in the mood for any flowery talk from Aaron Boone. For once, he didn't have any. Instead, he said the Yankees needed to move on from the loss of the game and the series because "We don’t have a lot of time. We gotta get back on the horse tomorrow and find a way." Time is definitely running out, and so are opportunities. Honestly, not a great time to be going against a sound team like the Atlanta Braves who are in first place in the NL East with a 75-41 record and are on pace to become the best home run hitting team in MLB history.


Can the Yankees pull their heads out of their behinds and give the Braves a run for their money? My heart and my brain have different answers for this. The Yankees look like they have hit rock bottom and have zero fighting spirit. They have no competitive drive or desire to win. They look and sound defeated.

I don't recognize this team at all and I just hope we can salvage the season so we don't end with a losing record. I'd like to leave that past in the past.


--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.