Monday, October 31, 2022

WILL THE YANKEES FUTURE INCLUDE ISIAH KINER-FALEFA?


History repeats itself again. I'm not talking about losing in the postseason, but for the second year in a row the Yankees have to make another decision about who plays shortstop. I'm sure we all have some strong opinions on this since we are still coping with our ALCS exit.

Last year I really wanted Isiah Kiner-Falefa as our short-term shortstop but now I am really not so sure. He certainly didn't do the worst job.... but he really wasn't good either. I hoped for more, but it just didn't happen. It's not the first time this happened, and it certainly won't be the last either. Sometimes things just don't pan out, but I really am having a hard time getting excited about another year of Kiner-Falefa on the field.

Maybe he just can't handle the Bronx or maybe he's just a Gleyber Torres. We all remember how Torres didn't work out well at shortstop, but he did better at second. Maybe that's the case here too. Maybe he'd more serviceable for us at third base.


Boy, do I like the sound of that, and I think we all do. Anything that adds up to dumping Josh Donaldson would be a HUGE win for this team, but I am not going to hold my breath because I don't see anyone banging down the door to get him and if by some chance a team does exist the Yankees are going to have to eat a good chunk of the $21 million owed to him. I just don't see it happening.... but I'd love to be wrong.

So, what do the Yankees do with Kiner-Falefa? In an ideal world, if Donaldson is traded, he slides to third and that might work out since he does have experience there AND he got a Gold Glove. If we are stuck with Donaldson (which is realistic) then let him be a utility guy. It could be worse I suppose. I just don't see him as our everyday shortstop next year, especially after we all got to see Oswaldo Cabrera. I'm ready to see more of him.


So, what happens to Kiner-Falefa? That will be interesting to watch throughout the winter. He didn't have the greatest season in the Bronx so you have to wonder if he will have a second. It's not unreasonable to think he may not.... but then again that's not what happens to Aaron Boone every year so, who the hell knows.



--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017