Thursday, April 1, 2021

IT'S A NEW BEGINNING & THE END!


Yesterday I experienced both an emotional high and a bit of a bummer all on the eve of baseball. In a handful of hours baseball is back. It's closer to the "norm" than what we saw for the 2020 season. I'm ready for some new excitement, as I try and process the idea of change at the same time.

A lot of news yesterday on baseball eve. I'm excited to have a final roster and to have Lucas Luetge part of it. It's the surprise that no one saw coming. It's a good story and gives you the good kind of feels that I think we all need after the long year we've all had. I know this year has felt like five (or more) and that's exactly what it's been for Luetge.

The last time Luetge pitched in the majors was 2015 with the Mariners. Since then he's traveled around the minors with a few teams....and now he's back on the big stage. The Yankees made it official yesterday and my mouth dropped when they did. That came out of left field (pardon the cliche but I couldn't resist) and it is the comeback story that gives me chills.


It's a new beginning for Luetge and he's earned it! During his time with the Mariners he only pitched 89 innings with an average fastball of 90 mph and a 4.35 ERA. Not great, but he was great in spring training where he pitched 10 1/3 innings with only two runs on eight hits, two walks and 18 strikeouts. He shut down opposing hitters and even Aaron Boone said it was "hard to deny" him a spot after that, read more HERE. The Yankees need another lefty, and he's earned a spot. Maybe he's figured out what works for him and can be consistent. I'm ready to see what he can do when it counts.

It's a new beginning for Luetge, but it sounds a like the end (again) for Ken Singleton according to the New York Post HERE. It's not a big deal for some people, but Singleton has been a favorite of mine for a long time now. In fact, it's always been a dream of mine to interview him. It may not happen, but one of my favorite memories will be watching games with my family on YES Network and listening to him call a game. I've always loved his perspective and if this really is the end, I will miss him going forward.


Selfishly, I'm hoping that YES president of programming and production John Filippelli can improve on his 3-3 record and convince him one more time not to retire. For me, his absence in the booth is a big miss even though he isn't calling games as often anymore. It's nostalgia for me.

So I am ready for the 2021 season. I am ready for Luetge's new beginning and will have to come to terms with Singleton stepping away from the booth. It will be hard. Mr. Singleton....I meant what I said earlier! If you are interested in chatting sometime, DM me!



  --Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
     BYB Managing Editor
    Twitter: @nyprincessj



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017