Sunday, March 21, 2021

HICKS, KING, & BRUCE OH MY!

Source: Sports Illustrated

We are just shy of 10 games until Opening Day 2021 and the Yankees have a lot of reasons to be smiling. Three of them are Aaron Hicks, Mike King and Jay Bruce. And here's why!

Skipper Aaron Boone announced Friday that Aaron Hicks is a natural number three slot hitter (Read DEMOTIONS & REWARD FOR THE NEW YORK YANKEES), and that is great news for Hicks, the Yankees and fans. But in addition to his lefty bat in between righties in the lineup if Hicks hit from that left side, he is adding a new/old secret weapon to his arsenal and strategy to get on base more in 2021.

Source: MLB.com

"I feel like by adding a bunt, being able to use the middle of the field a little bit more, [it] will definitely take away that huge shift on the right side and ultimately give me more chances to get more hits,” said Hicks, who batted .225 with a 121 OPS-plus last season," reported the New York Post. Wow, bold statement from a team that places the long ball ahead of any kind of short ball tactic. But this could be a good one, if Hicks can stay in the lineup consistently and keep his opponents thinking that he could go long or short at any moment. 

Source: Adam Hunger | AP

Right hand pitcher Michael King struck out six Orioles over 4 innings in his bid to make Yankees staff on Saturday. He is looking strong and could be a great option for the Yankees in a starting role or out of the bullpen as a long reliever. "King has stated that his goal is to give the Yankees at least 100 meaningful innings, regardless of whether it’s as a starter or in a relief role. Other pitchers are ahead of him on the depth chart and he probably won’t make the Opening Day roster, but the odds are good that he’ll be needed at some point," reported SB Nation after Saturday's loss to the Orioles. And with the injuries that the Yankees have faced over the last few years, King will be in pinstripes 2021. 

Now how about Jay Bruce? The veteran has certainly turned some heads this spring but was it enough to make the cut? With his bat and ability to play both corners of the outfield plus first base, I would have to vote yes. 

Source: USA Today

"Obviously I’ve had some struggles the last few years, I do kind of give that to injuries, but I feel like when I’m on the field and I’m healthy, I’m pretty much in line with my career numbers,” Bruce said. “I feel good, I feel normal, I feel like myself, you know, I know that I can help a team, I know that I can, you know, be a part of a winning team and help a team win a championship,” reported The New York Daily News

King and Bruce who are bubble players will know their fate on Thursday, March 25th. As for Hicks, glad to see he is switching things up in order to get on base amidst the shift that has taken its fair share of hits away from the Yankee switch hitter. Opening Day 2021 is almost here and the Yankees are certainly making things even more exciting for all of us fans who are not only craving baseball but a championship in 2021. 




--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof


1 comment:

  1. Very nice article & as usual, all points were well stated and free of condescending attitude and miniscule statistics which are so common with bloggers these days. Thank you for the entertainment Suzie, as always you are a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017