Monday, March 22, 2021

A NEW VOTE OF CONFIDENCE IN GARY SANCHEZ


I am looking for any and all signs that point to Gary Sanchez rebounding and finding his mojo again. I'm skeptical (and so are many others) that he can be a productive starting catcher. The Yankees still believe in him, and I want to....maybe this is a *small* sign.

No surprise, Gerrit Cole is the Yankees Opening Day starter but maybe his catcher that day is. Last year with our season on the line in game 5 of the ALDS Aaron Boone started Kyle Higashioka behind the plate in place of Sanchez. Before that, Higashioka took over as a personal catcher for Cole and here we are about to start a new season and Boone is giving Sanchez the nod instead.

So far, Sanchez had only caught Cole once in Spring Training so I'm sure he needed to get back behind the plater with Cole pitching regardless. It's just interesting that even after a poor 2020 season and little time catching the Yankees ace this spring Boone feels comfortable going with Sanchez, but he is.

Considering that Gerrit Cole has history with a dedicated catcher I wasn't sure if the Yankees were convinced that Cole should continue working with Higashioka since it has already proven to work but, Boone already said ""I would expect Gary to be behind there Opening Day," Boone said HERE.

At the end of the day, the Yankees have stood by Sanchez for years now so I guess it is no surprise that he isn't getting the nod for opening day. I do happen to like the Higashioka and Cole combo though, it seemed to work but Sanchez so far has received a lot of praise over Spring Training. Maybe things will be different this year.

I hope Sanchez has turned the corner and surprises us all. I like all of the good praise, but I need to see it when it counts in April and beyond.




  --Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
     BYB Managing Editor
    Twitter: @nyprincessj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017