Monday, February 15, 2021

THE YANKEES HAVE THEIR EYE ON MORE THAN ONE RELIEVER


So while we are left to wonder if the Yankees will make a late move and bring Brett Gardner back I am also watching which reliever the Yankees are going to sign. I really expected to have this answered last night.


So you already know that the Yankees have been watching David Robertson and I am all for David Robertson: Part 3 but the Yankees also have their eye on Justin Wilson, another former Yankee. It is rumored that Wilson "prefers" to return to the Mets but....who knows.



Meanwhile, the Yankees are in "serious" talks with Wilson according to cbssports.com so this could come down to the battle of New York. Which NY team could lure Wilson? I have to admit it would be nice to have another lefty reliever as long as the Yankees can get Wilson's control issues under control. That is the one area that really concerns me about Wilson. He can serve as more than just a lefty-on-lefty match up. 

The Yankees are very familiar with both of these guys. I would love to see Robertson come back and rebound from the last two seasons. He did well here before and he can handle the pressure. If he can rebound and help the team win again then it would be a fantastic reunion story.


I'm interested though to see how this Wilson connection pans out. He's pitched well for the Mets the last two seasons and the Mets are a different team now with new leadership and new faces. It is an exciting time to be a Met, so I wonder if the Yankees can sway him.

Spring training is here, it's THIS week so free agents are going to come off of the board very quickly. I am just intrigued to see what Wilson chooses. It's the rebirth of a New York rivalry already, and I kind of dig it.



  --Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
     BYB Managing Editor
    Twitter: @nyprincessj


2 comments:

  1. Great coverage as always Jeans. Easy to read also, free of condescending attitude and opinion that is so often part of Yankees bloggers coverage. Always enjoy your stuff.

    I have a feeling that Wilson is using the Yankees for leverage with the Mets and I also have a suspicion that the Mets are willing to go a little higher than the Yankees are here for his services.

    Robertson would be another manifestation of Cashman's strategy this off-season - high floor pitchers looking to rebound.

    I really like the strategy & also like Robertson a lot. I hope he comes to the Yankees for one more run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeana (sorry my phone auto corrected the spelling of your name & called you a pair of blue jeans lol)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017