Friday, October 9, 2020

GAME 5 & WHY WE SIGNED GERRIT COLE


The Yankees were solid last night and their pitching was exceptional.  Jordan Montgomery did his job, but so did the rest of the crew. We all say it... when it comes to the Yankees pen, you never know what you're gonna get. But the reality is, they gave us something great, even though they pulled Zack Britton out... that was strategy.... NOT a bonehead move by Boone.  Why? 


Because tonight they all hit the mound again, and a strong Britton helps Gerrit Cole. In fact, it's all hands on deck.  

The Yankees want to win this only for the mere fact that they want to stick a finger in the Rays eye, and also to then try and dismantle the cheating Astros. Carlos Correa needs to shut the F up... really.

Now I'm the first to tell you that I am not overly excited about this 60 game season.  It just seems super manufactured and fake to me.  I know it's baseball and trust me, I'll pull over to the side of the road to watch a high school game for an inning if I have the time.  But the reality is, this is just weird to me and I'm not feeling it.  I still root for my guys. I truly respect the fans that root for their teams, Yankees and other, but in the end, when the trophies are handed out, what does it really mean?

I had a tussle with some Marlins Twitter account the other night when I tweeted this:

And then of course, because everyone accuses people of hate these days, I get this. So, I responded.  


Everyone has excuses and everyone has to chill, The Marlins, the Yankees, the A's... insert team here, all need more than 60 games to get things started. You want to know why? Because they've been trained for 162 when they called for it in 1961.  In other words, get over yourself. 


I'm allowed to have an opinion that the Marlins aren't truly a great team because they lose in the playoffs of a 60 game season. Again... insert name here. Any team that loses are in the same boat. And more over, take it further. Could the Mets or Blue Jays or Tigers have turned it around in a full season?  Its the world of unknown and trust me, I'm realistic, but I also am in this world of wonder... especially in this manufactured season. I'm not fooled. Many of you are and that's fine. You love it and I respect you.  But respect me for seeing through it. You owe me that.

But back to the Yankees. I root, I watch, I hope they win, for whatever this season is.  It won't mean too much, but it's great for baseball I guess.  If they lose, no one loses sleep. it's a 60 game season. If they win... great... but it's a 60 game season.  I know... I'm just being an asshole now.

This is game 5. This is why Gerrit Cole was signed. You want to watch talent, you watch Cole tonight. Hopefully he has the tools for what we signed him for. If he doesn't, I will be surprised.


Yankee bats need to keep hot. I'm happy for Giancarlo Stanton. I was happy when he came to New York, but got down on him fast for injury and inconsistency. I'm thrilled he's broken through. Hopefully he can do damage tonight. 

And what have we learned about Gary Sanchez? He's irrelevant.

You gotta feel bad for him in that regard, but the writing was on the wall 2 years ago.  He's not what we thought we were getting.  I'm not a hater. I like the kid, but that big body behind the plate isn't doing much the last few years.  


Is Higgy the answer? Nope... but it works right now, and the best thing the Yankees can do is stick with what works.

In the end, this is game 5. I tip my cap to the Yankees playing in the playoffs during the most damaging and destructive pandemic since the Spanish Flu. But I am always so much more impressed with the fans. Yankees fans... baseball fans for coming out each night and giving it their all to root as hard as they want... even in this manufactured season.  You have my absolute respect!!!!

Go Yanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017