Wednesday, June 24, 2020

JUST BRING ME SOME JOHN STERLING AND I'M GOOD

Source: WFAN

On the heels of an apparent deal that brings baseball by mid-July, Yankee fans are shouting out the obvious: "Just bring me some John Sterling and I'm good." 

"Major League Baseball is set to return. The MLB Players Association (MLBPA) informed the league on Tuesday that players will comply with commissioner Rob Manfred's imposed outline for a 2020 season. Players are set report for another version of "spring" training on July 1, and the league's imposed 60-game season will start July 24," reported CBS Sports on Tuesday night.

Source: NJ.com

This year is a throw away, when it comes to capacity and endurance of a true season, but it is a season, none the less, and that means, John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman will be at the mike again.

"It is the strangest year of my life, and I'm up there in years,” said Sterling, 81. “You can’t call up friends and family and book them for dinner, and obviously there's no baseball. All sports live on ‘what if?’ And there were so many great questions about baseball this year. The Yankees were primed to make a real long run and the Mets have an awfully good team, so the summer baseball in New York would have been fabulous this year," said Sterling via WFAN at the start of the pandemic.

Source: New York Times

It is honestly so much fun to listen to my 22-year-old son ask for Sterling and Waldman, calling them his "friends." "That's all I want. Just to listen to my friends call a game. I don't care about the outcome of the season as much as I care about listening to Sterling," said Chris Carbonaro.

Waldman calls for her life back and that includes baseball.  "People have asked me, 'How much do you want baseball back?' Well, I want my life back. Baseball is a part of that. I'm missing not being afraid. I went and got flowers to plant, and you're afraid. You go to the store and you're afraid. I don't like that. I don't like to be afraid,” said Waldman via WFAN at the start of the pandemic.

Source: Newsday

With The two sides finalizing health and safety protocols on Tuesday night, the 2020 season is set to start one month from today.  Let's hope there's not a loophole.  Let's hope there's not a lawsuit.  Let's hope we hear, "And now stepping up to the microphone is the voice of the New York Yankees. Mr. John Sterling." Sigh, let's hope.



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof



2 comments:

  1. While I fully endorse your right to admire Mr. Sterling's work, I find him the single most annoying sports announcer I've ever heard. More than Howard Cosell, more than Stephen A. Smith, he is, in my opinion, an incompetent and boring listen.
    I'm old enough to have seen Mantle's Triple Crown year as a child, to have heard Allen, Barber, and Rizzuto call games and provide color, but I cannot bear to hear him announce my beloved Bombers on the radio. I've attended as many as 26 Yankee games in a season, saw in person the crushing Series sweep at the hands of Cincinnati, and Jackson's three homer game, but last season was the first I refused to tune in to a single Yankees game on radio.
    I wish him no I'll, just that he retire soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an addendum, he frequently neglects to give scores during a game, (something absolutely unforgivable in radio where no graphics exist), he repeats himself endlessly, gets so far ahead of the play that he misses calls on homers, fair/fouls, tags, balls/strikes. Most appalling are his silly blandishments of Yankee homeruns..using stumbling Italian for a homer by Stanton...who is NOT ITALIAN, "All rise, Here comes the Judge", "An A-bomb from A-Rod", and on and on and on.
    To my ears he comes across as a Bush League carnival huckster lacking in dignity and respect for the fans or himself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017