Thursday, November 22, 2018

MACHADO WALKS BACK HIS 'JOHNNY HUSTLE' COMMENT


You knew it was going to happen sooner or later, right? Well, one week after Hal Steinbrenner called Manny Machado's comments "troubling" Machado is trying to do some damage control. Question is, will the Yankees actually buy it?

This is going to be a tough hill to climb for Machado. I still think his remarks were stupid. It's not about if I was upset by them or not they were just plain stupid. No player going into free agency expecting a big fat contract should ever say those things. That's not going to inspire owners to give you the big pay day. The guy should wear a dunce hat and sit in the corner for a while longer.


Clearly people close to him have thought about it since then and want him to clear the air. Here is Machado's explanation:

"When I was asked that question, I was definitely on the defensive, and I was wrong to answer it the way that I did, because looking back, it doesn't come across how I meant it. For me, I was trying to talk about how I'm not the guy who is eye wash. There's a difference between fake hustle for show and being someone who tries hard to win. I've always been the guy who does whatever he can to win for his team."

Except for hustling I guess. Doesn't doing "what he can to win for his team" include hustling? I don't get the "fake hustle" thing. It sounds like a cop-out. The only thing "fake" here could actually be his statement or apology. Whatever that was supposed to be.


"But I know how I said it and how that came across, and it's something I take responsibility for. I look forward to talking with each GM and owner that we meet with about that, or any other questions they have."

Hopefully it didn't take him or his people an entire week to realize how damaging those comments could be. Some say perception is reality. Machado is perceived by some to have a bad reputation and to be lazy. Can he change that perception? Or is the cliche right and is he lazy like he seems? Hal and Brian Cashman are going to have a lot of talking to do.


It will be interesting to see how Cashman and Hal make this decision. Clearly, Machado has a lot of talent but can he be successful in New York? Not everyone can be successful here, see Sonny Gray for example. I loved Cashman's comments HERE when he said hustling "is always a prerequisite" and it is true. There is no room for complacency here. You don't need talent to run hard for 90 feet. The Yankees are like no other team and expectations here are greater. Machado should be no exception to that.


So I guess we will see if the Yankees are buying what Machado is trying to spin now. I don't think Machado had an epiphany. All this means is someone close to him, most likely his agent, explained those comments would not help him financially; if anything they could hurt him. His agent wants more teams calling, not less. His agent also knows on paper the Yankees are a great match for Machado. At least someone in this mess isn't stupid.

So is it going to be enough? We'll see if the Yankees decide to open their wallet. If the Yankees decide to sign him we will know that Machado made a very convincing argument to ease their concerns that will cost about $300 million.




--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017