Sunday, September 18, 2016

DO I HAVE TO CHECK THE YANKEE SCORE?



I watched the Yankees over the last few days with one eye open.  I have to say that these days have been DEVASTATING, as we so eloquently reported at the beginning of this blood bath in Boston.  This has been a massacre if you will and it has a lot of fans upset, including myself.  "Do I have to check the Yankee score?"

I said to a fellow fan who asked me how the Yankees were doing today.  It just pained me to look...Saturday's final score 6-5.  And we all remember Friday's score 7-4 and Thursday's, 7-5 walk off.  Terrible.  Now we are seven games out of first place and four games out of AL Wild Card.  It feels hopeless and losing to the Red Sox like this is even worse.


The New York Times said it this way after the loss on Saturday:

"The 6-5 loss to the Boston Red Sox was the latest episode in the great unraveling of the Yankees’ season, in which they have continued to discover torturous new ways to lose not only games but players, too. They lost Starlin Castro, their leading home run hitter and run producer and their cleanup hitter of late, to a strained hamstring and center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury to a knee injury after he slid into the outfield wall."  To counter the words of our beloved Yogi Berra, "has the fat lady in fact sung?"


And the players don't even know what day it is or how far back they are right now.  A lot’s changed in 48 hours, really,” said left fielder Brett Gardner, who had a run. “Thursday we’re an out from being one game back in the wild card, three games back in the division, and here we are, what, seven games back in the division, and I don’t even know where the wild card sits at this point," reported the Times.


I wish I had better news this Sunday, but I don't.  Not even the New York Post can calm our anxieties. They simply reported after Dellin Betances' blundering performance the other evening, "Forget about the AL East. Forget about the wild card."



I am not sure I will watch the Yankees today as they finish their final game of their final series at Fenway Park in 2016.  I don't even want to check the score periodically throughout the day as I typically do.  Sometimes you just have to let it all go.  Perhaps it is what my college sophomore son said this evening, "We are going to have a great team next year, Mom.  It is not going to happen for us this year."

I bleed Yankee blue like most of you...but something tells me my sophomore just told me it was okay to move on...

Final: Red Sox 6 - Yankees 5




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof

 






Shop BYB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017