Thursday, December 25, 2014

BETANCES SHOULD BE OUR NEXT CLOSER


I make it no secret that I believe in Dellin Betances. The kid from New York that grew up to live every kids dream... playing for the New York Yankees. I feel a sense of pride that someone like me made it, and I give him serious props. From the very beginning of the 2014 season I called him THE NEXT HOMETOWN HERO. The kid is incredibly talented, and you can't help but rally behind him.


This season he got the chance to play set-up for David Robertson. Between Betances' 90 innings and 135 strike outs, and Robertson's 39 saves, it was very much like watching the Mariano Rivera, John Wetteland combination of the 90's.  Now with that Robertson has found a new home with a new team, and we've got Andrew Miller, I've got to say it! Let Betances close!

I'm not the only one that thinks this is a good idea. Rivera recently said that Betances has "Showed he's capable of doing it" (HERE). That's a pretty heavy endorsement. And as always, Mo knows his stuff. Betances had an All-Star season in 2014. Of his 90 innings pitched, Betances only had 14 earned runs. Really, he put on a Mariano-like performance. Betances is willing to contribute to the team. "Whatever it is to help the team win, I'm all for it," Betances told the New York Daily News. "Whatever they want me to do. I just want to win. I just want to be able to help the team win."


I know the acquisition of Miller was so that we have a stronger bullpen. There are no set roles just yet, and maybe it won't be decided on until after the season starts. Maybe both Miller and Betances share the role. But the truth is, Betances deserves the role. He's the only member of our bullpen to be taught by both Mo and Robertson. He's clearly dedicated to getting the team wins. And while it is a little bias, the New York boy deserves a chance.

Look, I don't expect him to be perfect. He'll blow saves, and Yankees fans will call for the days of Mariano. But he will never become the closer that he can be if he isn't given the opportunity. So often the Yankees search for older talent instead of nurturing the talent he already have, and our younger players get dismissed and discarded. But Betances has the ability, and determination to be a great closer for the team. Mariano himself seems to think that he's capable. I'm not going to knock Miller before he even have his first spring training practice with the team, but Betances should be our closer. He's earned the chance to at least try.




--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer 
Twitter: @e_morales1804


JUST ADDED: Holiday Savings on Gift Cards at SteinerSports.com. No coupon needed!

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017