Saturday, April 5, 2014

BETANCES: THE NEXT HOMETOWN HERO


Growing up a baseball lover in New York, your dream is to eventually wear Yankees pinstripes. You watch this team from your home town, with it's rich history, and iconic past players, and you want to be remembered among them. This is doubly true if you grew up in New York City. Kids from Hunts Point to Flatbush, from Astoria to Richmond, and from Bushwick to Alphabet City all want to play in the Bronx. Sure there are a few among us who wanted to play in Flushing, but a great majority of us all dreamed of playing in the Bronx. Yes, even girls, because I know I played hard wishing one day I could join the Bronx Bombers. For me, the dream never happened because I lack a certain gender identification chip. For the others... well who really knows what happens?


Kids look for guys they can cling to. Guys that remind them of themselves in some small way. My childhood heroes included Jorge Posada, and Paul O'Neill. I have waved my proverbial pom-poms over them on BYB time and again. My son clung to Nick Swisher for his personality, and Curtis Granderson for his demeanor. He respects people that are happy, and intelligent, hard workers. To him, those two exemplified that. The Rockstar and the Gentlemen. I dig that. 


Every so often, a kid will get a chance to watch someone from their hometown play. They recognize themselves in that player. They walked the same streets he did. Lived in the same environment, and maybe attended the same school. They become an inspiration. A reminder that someone, who was once just like them, who lived in the same space, can become successful. There is a sense of hometown pride when you see these guys play. This week, Dellin Betances made his debut with the Yankees. He pitched an incredible 7th inning. He also solidified himself as my sons new hero. I'm sure my son isn't the only New York City kid either. 

Betances is the kid from Washington Heights. When he made the roster, one headline I read was "The Boy From Brooklyn" referring to his having attended high school in Brooklyn. Kids like my son see that and think "He's one of us, and he made it!" They start wanting to see him succeed above all others. They want him to live up to the super hero cape and mask they placed on him. He becomes what they aspire to be. No one really expects him to be perfect. But we recognize him as our own, as strange as that may sound. He is representing, not just our favorite team, but our city, and us by extension.


Betances is an incredibly talented young man. I have been waiting for him to make his way to the majors since he was dubbed one of the original Killer B's. I enjoy watching him play. I believe he will have a successful career. The fact that he is the only New Yorker on the New York Yankees? That's just a bonus to me. All the more reason for me to cheer him on. Betances making the team is a big deal. And yes, it's a big deal because he's from New York. It's a big deal because he accomplished what so many of my peers, those who grew up here before me, and even my son, have all dreamt about. He made it! He went from using a Metro Card, and hopping a train to 161st and River Ave, to taking the players only entrance. Betances can undeniably become the next hometown hero. He's got what it takes! 

Hey, Betances! BYB has got your back! And when you get the chance, maybe we could chat. Until then, "Grind it!" 




--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804


 

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017