Monday, August 26, 2013

YEAH, YEAH... I SAW BUCHHOLZ PITCH...


It's good to know what' the enemy is up to, right?


Let me first state I've been a Yankees fan for 34 years. I've had a professional baseball team in my back yard for 20 years. There are 2 things that I've never experienced while in attendance of a baseball game. The first is catch a ball (neither foul or home run). The closest was 2 years ago when I almost had a ricochet, but my brother in law, who was sitting behind me and is 4 inches taller, snatched it well above my head. The other was seeing anybody of importance at my local, short-season Class A game. Players like Delmon Young, Josh Hamilton, and Evan Longoria have all played for my local Hudson Valley Renegades. However, back then nobody knew who those guys were.

The Renegades are the NY-Penn League affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays. They are the defending league champions and last year they were lights out! Some of these players will probably make the majors in the next few years. Tampa seems to be really good at developing players and this team has been good for the last few years!! I always find it hard to root for them knowing these guys will probably be playing against my Yanks sometime in the near future.


Anyway, last night, the 'Gades took on the Lowell Spinners, the NY-Penn League representatives of the Boston Red Sox. The starting pitcher for the Spinners was none other than Mr Clay Buchholz. Buchholz was making his first rehab start since a neck strain sidelined him back in June. I really can't stand Buchholz, but it was still very cool to see a guy of his stature in my neighborhood and playing in my hometown stadium.


I knew going in Buchholz was supposed to throw 45-50 pitches in this rehab start, so I knew he wouldn't be long for the game. In the top of the first the Spinners quickly jumped out to a 3 run lead. In the bottom of the first the Renegades Julian Ridings hit a fly ball deep to left center. The ball bounced off the left fielders glove who picked it up and while trying to throw Ridings out at third, let it fly into the stands along the third base line allowing Ridings to score. That's 2 errors on 1 play. The next batter walks. The third batter, Ariel Soriano, triples to right center and scores on the another throwing error - Game tied at 3. Buchholz is able to get the next batter to strike out and the fifth batter to pop weakly out to short. He then proceeds to walk the next two batters. This brought out the Spinners manager. 38 pitches into the game and Buchholz's night is over. 2/3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 K, 3 BB. Although he did hit the mid 80s on the radar gun.

For me, I could sit and watch a ballgame on any given night. There is nothing like it. (By the way, the 'Gades won 11-9). I'm not going to lie, I did get a little bit of pleasure watching the mighty Clay Buchholz struggle against a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds. Ok, so this post isn't really Yankee related, but it was a great night out at the ballpark with my wife and 2 daughters.


And after the game they got to run the bases. I'm still trying to wipe the smile off their faces and the dirt off their feet!!



--Lem Allen, BYB Contributor
Email me at: bybcurmudgeon@gmail.com


The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017