Tuesday, August 6, 2013

BREAKING DOWN BUD SELIG'S STATEMENT

So, not sure if you read Bud Selig's statement on this Biogenesis mess... I did and I was annoyed reading it.  Sure, I am not on the side of the cheaters, I've been clear about that on Bleeding Yankee Blue. I have kids, I know how they are easily influenced and it's my job to guide them and explain what role models really are.  That being said, I have hated the way Selig has treated this investigation from the get-go, as well as his lack of leadership back in the 1990's when PEDs were at it's height in Major League Baseball.  As I've stated here, there is no question in my mind that after the 1994 strike, with tons of baseball fans leaving the game out of frustration, something started to happen... Home Runs.  With that, the fans returned and MLB made a determination then that maybe... for alittle while, PEDs would help the game instead of hurt it, especially if the fans returned and poured a ton of money into the ballparks.  Sure, it's my opinion, and who knows if it's true... but I think it is.

That being said, I needed to print Selig's statement HERE... the statement will be in Bold Italics. My analysis will follow... here it goes:

"Major League Baseball has worked diligently with the Players Association for more than a decade to make our Joint Drug Program the best in all of professional sports. I am proud of the comprehensive nature of our efforts — not only with regard to random testing, groundbreaking blood testing for human Growth Hormone and one of the most significant longitudinal profiling programs in the world, but also our investigative capabilities, which proved vital to the Biogenesis case..."

The investigation capabilities for the Biogenesis case was vital, we can agree on that. But what about all that happened before that?  Again, PEDs has been around for a long, long time under Bud's lead. Sure, testing is a good thing, but more importantly, we've always needed testing and that didn't begin until 2004. Bud came in as commissioner in 1992.

"Upon learning that players were linked to the use of performance-enhancing drugs, we vigorously pursued evidence that linked those individuals to violations of our Program. We conducted a thorough, aggressive investigation guided by facts so that we could justly enforce our rules...."

My opinion is it was only thrown into full gear after Biogenesis was served to them on a silver platter. At that point, Major League Baseball knew they had to do something, because they were the ones who were forced to put testing and the suspension program into place in 2004 because it was realized they didn't do anything when the home run record was broken.  Think about how pathetic it was watching Barry Bonds become the all-time home run king, beating out Hank Aaron and every single one of us knew it was tainted. 

I'm with Bob Costas on that one... in my mind, Hank Aaron is still the all-time home run king.

 "Despite the challenges this situation has created during a great season on the field, we pursued this matter because it was not only the right thing to do, but the only thing to do..."

If you didn't do it Bud, you would be considered one of the worst commissioners in baseball ever. Now, your legacy is the "guy who cleaned up baseball" when it should be "the guy that ignored it before he fixed it."

"For weeks, I have noted the many players throughout the game who have strongly voiced their support on this issue, and I thank them for it. I appreciate the unwavering support of our owners and club personnel, who share my ardent desire to address this situation appropriately. I am also grateful to the Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers Society and our club physicians, who were instrumental in the banning of amphetamines and whose expertise remains invaluable to me. As an institution, we have made unprecedented strides together..."

Trust me, no one wants a dirty sport, so we can all agree that the clean guys that have come forward applauding the clean up is a good thing.  There is nothing worse than having clean guys be looked at as users, just because they are putting up alot of home runs. 


Look at poor Chris Davis of the Orioles.  I don't believe he's a user, but people do, and it's a shame. Can't a guy just hit home runs anymore?

"It is important to point out that 16,000 total urine and blood tests were conducted on players worldwide under MLB Drug Programs in 2012. With the important additions of the hGH testing and longitudinal profiling this season, we are more confident than ever in the effectiveness of the testing program. Those players who have violated the Program have created scrutiny for the vast majority of our players, who play the game the right way..."

We get it Bud, you did a bang up job, but I don't need to know how many urine tests you did.  If you are serious about cracking down, then crack down and do it.  Same thing with going on Letterman and blurting to the world that you knew ARod's fate and then didn't tell us, all the while, the investigation was ongoing.  Keep your mouth shut and just do it if you're serious.

 "This case resoundingly illustrates that the strength of our Program is not limited only to testing. We continue to attack this issue on every front — from science and research, to education and awareness, to fact-finding and investigative skills. Major League Baseball is proud of the enormous progress we have made, and we look forward to working with the players to make the penalties for violations of the Drug Program even more stringent and a stronger deterrent..."

Again, just do it. Oh and by the way, education and awareness has NOT happened so far, but under my program it would have.  For example, you had 12 guys who have accepted their suspensions this time around.  Sure, they haven't officially admitted using, but if they are accepting their suspensions, trust me, they did it.  Put them in front of a camera and make them cut a Public Service Announcement and broadcast it on MLB games and it would read as follows:
"Hi Boys and Girls, my name is (INSERT VIOLATOR HERE), I play for the (INSERT TEAM HERE), but I tested positive for drugs and cheated.  I am now suspended for 50 games.  What I did was wrong.  Don’t be like me. I am not a role model. A role model works hard to achieve their goals.”
That message goes to our kids, plus, it's shaming these cheaters... that's education Bud.

"As a social institution with enormous social responsibilities, Baseball must do everything it can to maintain integrity, fairness and a level playing field. We are committed to working together with players to reiterate that performance-enhancing drugs will not be tolerated in our game."

Finally, something we can all agree on, but there were plenty of holes in that statement that I just didn't like.  Overall, I want baseball cleaned up, but to be honest, I hated, HATED the way Bud Selig handled it... ever since 1994.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017