Tuesday, April 16, 2013

THE FASCINATION WITH DAVID AARDSMA


I'd like to think that Bleeding Yankee Blue was the first place to become fascinated with David Aardsma and his comeback tour.  You also have to know that I don't take myself too seriously and am just having fun with this site.  Meanwhile, we are building a pretty significant fan base doing just that and when there is a nugget, we bring it to you. 


Look at the BYB Exclusive we did with Ty Hensley after his surgery.  We were the only ones who had it on the planet.  I mean, did you understand what Hensley's abdominal strain was all about? I didn't, then we posted TY HENSLEY TALKS POST SURGERY and you learned something. No one picked it up. No one, but we had it. That's amazing to me.

Now, the media can make an argument that no one "cares" about Hensley's hip, sure, I get it. But I can then say, no one cares about how David Aardsma spent a few weeks being unemployed, yet, everyone is talking about today's Wall Street Journal piece HERE about it. Personally, I was hoping Aardsma was home eating sleeves of Pringles and watching old Three Stooges shows, but that's just me. Anyway, here's some of that story:

"The two-week odyssey of boredom, worry, negotiations and frustration is one many players quietly go through each year when they are released... Aardsma stayed up on player movement around baseball, noting which other teams cut players, or needed bullpen help. He would talk himself into thinking that this trade could happen, or that one.

'As a player, you start thinking that way, and then you starting thinking that’s a deal they’re going to do—you start playing that GM game,' he said. And it never works out. Never. And then someone else picks up the guy you were thinking about, and you get pissed.'"

OK, fair enough, but what did I learn? I like Aardsma, I wanted him to succeed with the Yankees. It didn't happen and that sucks, but I'm thrilled that he's with the Marlins now. But that's the story, not what he did on his couch waiting for a job.  I guess I just don't get it.  There are a ton of Americans unemployed right now. Why aren't we asking them what it's like to be out of work for 2 weeks, or 10? You see my point.  Bottom line, I respect Barbarisi, but... I don't get it.

Look, I wish David Aardsma the best. I will continue reading Barbarisi, but maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough to "get it".  For those of you who did... good for you. As for me, I'm out.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017