Wednesday, August 22, 2012

BARTOLO COLON SUSPENDED 50 GAMES. WAKE UP MLB!

We mentioned last week that Melky Cabrera was suspended 5O games for a drug violation.  There were high levels of testosterone in his system, hence a failed test. Read HERE.  We here at Bleeding Yankee Blue offered Major League Baseball a genius idea. Why not have the violators record a PSA, 30 seconds of their life that MLB should make them do. They should stand in front of a camera saying to all the fans and the children who love them, "I cheated. I got caught, don't be like me."

The fans seems to like it, but some admitted the likelihood of it happening would be next to nil.  "Corporate greed would never allow these athletes to embarrass themselves" is the type of email I received. My reply was simple...they've already embarrassed themselves, and the should be embarrassed, they didn't follow the rules.  Yes,, I understand their point, but if you really want to clean up the sport, it's clear, the 50 game suspension doesn't matter to these guys.

My suggestion was simple and time I'll use Bartolo Colon as the example, after all, he's admitted guilt, read HERE.

(Below is the statement I would force failed testers to use as a new policy suggested by BYB)
My name is Bartolo Colon, I pitch for the Oakland Athletics this season, but I tested positive for drugs and cheated.  I am now suspended for 50 games.  What I did was wrong.  Don’t be like me. I am not a role model. A role model works hard to achieve their goals.” 

Wake up Major League Baseball.  These players don't give a crap that they're suspended and they sure as hell don't care about it being 50 games.  Either change it to a zero policy or run with my Public Service Announcement idea. You will not only see failed tests drop, you'll also see clean, hard-nosed ball players...the way baseball was supposed to be. Damn, it's just a suggestion...think about it.

Finally, let me say this. I just read that Rick Sutcliffe said that Melky Cabrera should be deported for his behavior.  Seriously Rick? You're a baseball analyst, stay in that realm. HERE's what he said "You know, it makes you mad. First of all, this guy is over here in the United States on a working visa. He broke the law. What's he doing still here... I mean, forget the 50-game suspension from baseball and whether he can come back if they make the players [sic] or not. Why's he still here? That visa should be taken away, and he should not be allowed to play over here again, or work over here again, in my opinion."

Great people they have working over at ESPN.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017